Qualifier - rules and support

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

rgthom
Regular Contributor

Qualifier - rules and support

Post by rgthom »

I have a small sail and oar craft, similar to the type in the (very cool) promo video. It won't be doing the full race this year - maybe Sterling Hayden can give up his material life but my wife would not go for me quitting my job right now! The qualifier, though, is a real possibility (maybe followed by a cruise in the Gulf Islands).
Jake has commented that the qualifier start time might be set earlier than the listed 8:00 am, and that the allowed time might be 24 or 36 hours. These details are important in deciding if the 40 mile crossing is possible in this type boat - have they been nailed down yet?
Similar question about the support structure - the full race as noted has no support. By contrast a round-the-buoys dinghy race would have lots of support and competitors would risk and expect to capsize. The qualifier looks like something in-between. What support is planned?

In any case, thanks for creating this event!

Rick Thompson
Jake Beattie
New Contributor

Re: Qualifier - rules and support

Post by Jake Beattie »

Great questions

How long do we have for the cutoff? We're convening a think tank about the first stage in the first part of October, so this will get nailed down in a couple of weeks. Yes, 24 or 36 hours seems to be the two options on the table for duration, but we'll also be determining if there is a race course, two routes or one, safety structure, etc.

On the safety structure, we will have a safety structure in place, but I think it would be imprudent to think that you will get rescued in a similar timeframe to a bouy race. We'll be working with local folks and USCG to create a system, but with a race course that's stretched over 40 miles there could be some lag between distress signal and response. In land based terms, I don't think that the ambulance will be following you along, more like someone has already dialed 9-1...and their finger is hovering over the last 1 just in case something happens.

We'll add more details as we nail them down.
Blind_Pew
New Contributor

Post by Blind_Pew »

Reminder that while in Victoria harbor, sails are not allowed.
Traffic lanes are inforced even for "non-powered" vessels.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/pacific/marine-1521.html
We do not want this to be easy.
rgthom
Regular Contributor

Post by rgthom »

Hey Jake,

It's early October, have the qualifier details been set yet? I would like to do it, and I see there is a crew incentive going on at Kickstarter to get people signed up, but I need to know some of the specifics that will affect my ability to complete this leg in a rowboat: start time, cutoff time, any course restrictions, support structure, what wind speed would delay the race. Also useful would be location of the finish line in Victoria. Oh, and solo entrants are OK, correct?

Thanks - Rick
JollyRoger
Regular Contributor

Post by JollyRoger »

any updates
Jake Beattie
New Contributor

Post by Jake Beattie »

Hi all, sorry for the delay on this. The one detail that has been firmed up for the first stage is that the deadline is 5pm Friday June 5th in Victoria's inner harbor. The finish line will be at a dock right near where the Coho Ferry lands- right in front of the old Wax Museum. Racers will dock, and then run up to ring a ships bell then immediately clear customs. The key here is that there is no sailing inside of the breakwater for Victoria's (north of Ogden Point) so boats will need to find an alternate means of propulsion for the last mile or so.

Start time and info on the routes will be figured out this week. Apologies again on the delays.
rgthom
Regular Contributor

Post by rgthom »

Jake Beattie wrote:Hi all, sorry for the delay on this. The one detail that has been firmed up for the first stage is that the deadline is 5pm Friday June 5th in Victoria's inner harbor. The finish line will be at a dock right near where the Coho Ferry lands- right in front of the old Wax Museum. Racers will dock, and then run up to ring a ships bell then immediately clear customs. The key here is that there is no sailing inside of the breakwater for Victoria's (north of Ogden Point) so boats will need to find an alternate means of propulsion for the last mile or so.

Start time and info on the routes will be figured out this week. Apologies again on the delays.
That's great, 5 pm Friday already sounds do-able. If we get any votes on this, I go for 5 am start and a southern or direct route. I know you mentioned a northern route, but I can't see how to make much progress north until the ebb is over later in the day.
JollyRoger
Regular Contributor

Post by JollyRoger »

rgthom
Regular Contributor

Post by rgthom »

JollyRoger wrote:http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-bo ... 1036#p9379

5am start confirmed.
OK, good news.

So maybe the organizers are listening and we do get a vote - then how about support boats with fresh coffee and hot scones along the route? :D
Jake Beattie
New Contributor

Post by Jake Beattie »

rgthom wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-bo ... 1036#p9379

5am start confirmed.
OK, good news.

So maybe the organizers are listening and we do get a vote - then how about support boats with fresh coffee and hot scones along the route? :D
Negative ghost rider