The fiberglass Scamp; Eureka, we have done it

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Dave Robertson
Regular Contributor

The fiberglass Scamp; Eureka, we have done it

Post by Dave Robertson »

Yesterday was a day lots of people have been waiting for, especially us! We knew we were close to being ‘finished' but as is typical, there’s always some little detail that needs to be cleared up before the big splash. But finally the sun came out and a nice breeze popped up. Although the boatshop phone was ringing and there was lots of stuff to do, Falk and I just looked at each other and said, “Ah, lets go for it”.

We hooked up the trailer and headed for the boat launch. Falk has been the key man designing and rigging the sail plan so while he rigged the spars (took about 5 minutes) I installed the rudder and strutted around as if I knew what I was doing.

The Scamp slid of the trailer and floated like a cork. Water ballast added, it still seemed gossamer on the surface of the water. After coercing a passerby to take a picture of us, I gently pushed the #1 ‘glass Scamp with Falk at the tiller away from the dock. The wind was so light in this protected part of Gig Harbor bay that the water was totally still, yet Falk easily gained way and sailed to windward. Away from the dock the wind built to maybe 6 knots and Scamp really took off. Boat speed is excellent, nay surprising... tacking is effortless and jibing holds no drama. She’s quick, quiet, stable, forgiving, agile. What more can I say?

For some reason I can't get the photos to load... Josh, please add the pictures and video to this thread. Thanks!

Next week we will start on a very pretty #2 which will have a bright firecracker red top strake, white underbody with bisque deck and bronze deadlights and cleats. #2 will take about 6 weeks to build because we will need to partially disassemble #1 to take patterns and then ensure they fit subsequent boats. After that our goal is to have Scamps coming along at the rate of one every 3 to 4 weeks until we catch up with the backlog.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Editors
Site Admin

Re: The fiberglass Scamp; Eureka, we have done it

Post by Editors »

OK, I think I got the 2 videos and photo posted.

P.S. I've added a "YouTube" code option to the board now. Paste a Youtube video between those brackets and video should embed. —Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Tim
Regular Contributor

Post by Tim »

Congratulations!
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Looks great you guys!!! I like the way the sail looks like it has batten pockets but that's just reinforcement, right? Really looks great on the water but won't it need some cleats for anchoring? Keep up the good work and congratulations on #1!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Hi Dave-

We got the photos and video last night from JohnW and the first thing I told Mike was "Don't you want one of these fiberglass Scamps too?"

Really pretty and impressive. You guys did a terrific job.

Jackie and Mike Monies- The Red Scamp
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Yeah, those are reef bands for reinforcement in the Neil Pryde SCAMP sail. Dave told me that they hadn't put cleats on yet—I don't even think the varnish was dry ;-), but the weather broke, so...off they went. Amazing how much #1 glass looks like #1 wood.—Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
BobT
Regular Contributor

Post by BobT »

Bring one of those babies up to Port Townsend for a visit soon! Looks great

Bob

Peanut -- #158
Dave Robertson
Regular Contributor

Post by Dave Robertson »

As I mentioned, the boat wasn't really finished yet. No cleats? No problemo, they were in the box ready to install but the wind was blowing and the sun was shining...There were a few other unfinished items too but hey, give us a break. The boat performed flawlessly yet gave us a few hints of things to tweak; small stuff like a bit more halyard length, adding another leg to the lazy jacks, etc.

This boat, our #1 is owned by Dick Herman from from central California who has specified 5" polished bronze cleats to match the polished bronze deadlights. There are now 13 glass Scamps on order and it's neat to see how each owner is specifying different items to personalize their boat both cosmetically and operationally.

Dvae R
Dave Robertson
Regular Contributor

Post by Dave Robertson »

Dyslectic fingers on a touch screen. Sigh. Make that...

Dave R. ;>)
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Dave, congratulations to you and your team!

You have every right to be proud of another fine addition to the Gig Harbor Boat Works stable of thoroughbreds.

Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11