Wonderful Article In SCA Magazine this issue

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Wonderful Article In SCA Magazine this issue

Post by lustyslogger »

If you are extremely bored one afternoon check out page 24 and 25 in the May/June issue of Small Craft Advisor. There is an article worthy of, if not Hemingway, Joshua Slocum!
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Re: Wonderful Article In SCA Magazine this issue

Post by JacquesR »

It may not be The Old Man and the Sea but still a good read. Glad you got out of the weeds Norman if quite a bit poorer. You mentioned in the article that the Lustyslogger is hard to tack. Have you an idea why. The only time my Piper is hard to tack is when the winds are very very light. That was not your case which makes me wonder why... Has it always been that way...
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

An article by Norman? Allright! I'm looking forward to get my issue!
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

JacquesR wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:33 am
It may not be The Old Man and the Sea but still a good read. Glad you got out of the weeds Norman if quite a bit poorer. You mentioned in the article that the Lustyslogger is hard to tack. Have you an idea why. The only time my Piper is hard to tack is when the winds are very very light. That was not your case which makes me wonder why... Has it always been that way...
Its not the Lusty Slogger, its the helmsman! The only boat I have had that wasn't an issue when tacking was my Sunflower and it would viciously tack in about a third of its length. Sometimes when the wind and waves are just right and all of the Sea Gods are in a good mood the Sunbird tacks like it was on rails, regardless of the strength of the wind.

I am going to make it my life's work to seamlessly tack in the future.
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

Just got to it! Congratulations.

Got myself well and truly stuck off Union Speings on Cayuga Lake in our Catalina 34. I ended up going over the side and cutting the prop, rudder and wing keel free of weed globs and gradually inching back out the way we came in. Don't know if it was the weeds or critters in tthem but I itched terribly for days afterwards.
Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Still waiting for my issue!.... :(
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I finally read it this morning over Breakfast (my usual magazine time) wonderfully dry,
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Art Haberland wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:16 pm
I finally read it this morning over Breakfast (my usual magazine time) wonderfully dry,
More or less! Funny you should make that comment. I am working on a story regarding the times I have fallen off the boat into the; ocean, lake, river, bay etc etc

Thanks
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Looks like my issue was lost in the mail! But the staff is kind enough to send me an other copy! I will finally get to read that article! :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Just bought the latest book Josh is touting. Its a homage to the ODay Mariner. Its about 120 pages of photos of various Mariners. This brought up the question, at least to me, what makes one boat vastly superior to another? If two boats are almost equal in size, weight, type of rig etc why does one boat become a classic and the other a really good buy on the used boat market?

As most of you know I sail an AMF Sunbird. This boat is almost identical in size, sail plan, beam and weight as the ODay Daysailer. Yet the ODay is held in much higher esteem than the Sunbird and sells for about twice as much on the used boat market. Could it be because ODay only sold sailboats while AMF sold boats, bowling balls and at one time Harley Davidson motorcycles?

Just thinking out loud here.