SCAMP Camp 2 Baldwin Michigan, Reports

Moderator: Moderator

The Defiant Dane
New Contributor

SCAMP Camp 2 Baldwin Michigan, Reports

Post by The Defiant Dane »

Interest has been shown in finding out more about SCAMP Camp 2, recently completed in Baldwin Michigan. That Camp was an offshoot of SCAMP Camp 1, NW Maritime Center and NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding Activities.

Five SCAMP's were built, Six Sitka Spruce Birds mouth Spars and 12 Foils, in addition to 5 Exceptional SCAMP's. Love The Wood, Respect The Build, Best Boats Best Build were the only rules.

I wish to first introduce a volunteer, "The Big Swede" Al Sted from Duluth MN. Al took on the task of planning for and building the Jig for our Spars, oversaw the Spar Building process, led that activity. He also shaped every foil, melted and poured the lead, in situ, for the Foils. "Love the Wood, Respect The Build" is the definition of Al. Photos, Appended

More on the rest of the build and the boats we produced, in later posts, but credit is due first and foremost to "The Big Swede"

Thanks RDR, (The Defiant Dane)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Defiant Dane
New Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp 2 Baldwin Michigan, Reports

Michigan is now "life in the Pastlane" for SCAMP Camp 2 builders.

Only one boat remains on site, the others have scattered towards individual excellence. I believe other photos will soon be posted.

My "Judea" SCAMP # 175 took the winter drive along Highway US 80, back to Oregon. Fire and Ice I call it, she is well prepared now for her Northwest Pacific Home. I told her she would forever hence experience only water that is actually a liquid, this made her very glad to view the Pacific Ocean.

Photo:
Judea meets Conestoga Wagons in Nebraska. We discuss my speed, comfort and reliability expectations of her.
The Defiant Dane
New Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp 2 Baldwin Michigan, Reports

Trying to post some more photos of SCAMP Camp 2 Baldwin. RDR