I'm in the market for a trailerable daysailer that is
Great Lakes capable. I'm thinking about a Norse Boat
17.5, any opinions?

Gerry
Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Norse Boat 17.5

Post by Peter E »

I would look at John Welsford designs. Where he is from they encounter rough enough conditions like you might have on the great lakes. It pays to have a safety margin in case you need it. Where on the Great lakes make a difference too. I haven't seen too many small sail boats on Superior. It is not water to be in with out a wet suit. Michigan is a little more forgiving.

Pete from the Midwest
phillysailor
New Contributor

Happy Norse Boat 17.5 Owner

Post by phillysailor »

Howdy Gerry

As a satisfied NorseBoat owner, I can recommend the NB 17.5 for the following reasons:
1. Build quality
2. Thoughtful design
3. Manufacturer's support

Areas where other boats may be better:
1. More active owner's groups/associations
2. Cost
3. Lack of dealer support in America

In more depth, I'd say that the build quality is good because of the attention to good application of materials and attention to backing plates/reinforcement where needed, use of Harken gear and carbon fiber masts by Forte. The lines are from New England Ropes, and are purpose-selected, with color choices matching deck gear. The hull looks new five years out; admittedly I am able to store my boat in a garage for the past few years.

The design (Chuck Paine) is thoughtful because it matches the intended usage carefully. The hull is New Jersey lifeboat-inspired. It is stable in a seaway, relatively quick, and looking aft, you rarely see much of a wake: it is efficient/slippery. It looks good: expect comments every time you go out! Doesn't point as well as a Bermuda Rig, but it is a gaff rig. What can you expect? I like how the bimini doesn't interefere with rowing, how the bilge pump is installed, & how the mast steps so that it isn't too difficult for one person to be on the water 45 minutes after arriving at the boat ramp.

With a couple of modifications (I have a storm jib and installed a home-built water ballasting system, a feature now standard on the NB 17.5) I am now perfectly comfortable sailing solo in winds of 20-25mph. Tacks are without drama, and I remain dry.

I have contacted Kevin Jeffery several times during my ownership of "Sea Dart", and he answers messages, steers me to good choices, and has helped me obtain parts when I needed them.

As for the negatives:
There are only about 10 owners who are active on a website dedicated to the NB 17.5, and although we enjoy a fruitful discussion now and then, there are only about 115 of the boats around, not as many as the Montgomery or Sea Pearls. There is also no dealer in America, if that is the purchasing experience you are used to.

The quality does cost $$. I spent about $25K to get started, and that gets you A LOT of boat on the used boat market these days. But if you want a new boat with good qualities for day-tripping, plunking down into varied circumstances and bodies of water with a reasonable bit of speed and great looks, then the NorseBoat is a good choice. I am happy with mine!
LLS3
New Contributor

Post by LLS3 »

I am a new owner of a 17.5. Hull 25; can anyone direct me to the owners group site? Hopefully it is not facebook as I refuse to be a part of that. thanks!!! Also any advice ever drawn up on rigging? I have not rigged mine yet: I am redoing the wood and guess I am have difficulty in the beginning. Thanks.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

LLS3 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:57 am
... anyone direct me to the owners group site? Hopefully it is not facebook as I refuse to be a part of that.
I'm only aware of the builder's Facebook page. I suggest you contact Norseboat directly for support, as they are helpful folks, if you are not wanting to communicate with boat owners on FB.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/