New (to me) Kayak

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Art Haberland
Major Contributor

New (to me) Kayak

Post by Art Haberland »

After breaking my Skin on Frame Kayak last week when the wind picked it up and sent it sailing from the roof of my landy to the parking lot, i went searching on Craig's list for a cheap and readily available replacement. I did not expect to find a Heavily used Chesapeake Light Craft Chesapeake 17 only 50 miles away. Originally listed for $600, I picked it up for $500 as while it is usable, it needs a new deck.

Whomever built it, never epoxied the deck, they just varnished it. Years of exposure to wind, sun, and water later and it is checked, soft in spots, and has a bit of rot on the stern deck. All around it is a solid boat, just a winter project I can use now if I apply a little epoxy to the rot to seal it up for not.

And the ugly part:

So I am going to throw a patch over the rot tonight and maybe get out tomorrow if all goes well.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: New (to me) Kayak

Post by Michel »

Looks like its life is not over yet! You will make it good! ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

Thank you. I need to fix my 12 footer first, as there are places this monster of a kayak cannot easily go, then it goes under the knife for some much deserved repairs, restoration, and mild modification.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I imagine that a 17ft kayak will be faster than a 12ft. I often see that type of kayak going up current at a good pace, where I sail on the Saint-Lawrence. It seems very relaxed as the paddle action is quite slow in regards to the speed. But you can't negociate tight corners in tight places like on a shorter boat. ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~