Recognized Old Salt

I will be sailing again soon!

Post by Michel »

We can feel that winter is near over.
This is how my launching spot looks.
Saint-Lawrence river, east of Montreal.
https://youtu.be/35LfLbkmWog
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Re: I will be sailing again soon!

Post by JacquesR »

I hope you like cold weather sailing Michel. For my part, the Ottawa River where the marina is located is still covered with ice. It will be a while before we can launch, usually in May if no floods.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I look forwards to your videos!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

JacquesR wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:37 am
I hope you like cold weather sailing Michel. For my part, the Ottawa River where the marina is located is still covered with ice. It will be a while before we can launch, usually in May if no floods.
For me, soon means at the beginning of May. It is not only because of the cold but becaus the current is very strong in that beginning of the spring season.
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Art Haberland wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:30 pm
I look forwards to your videos!
I look forward to make them! ;) I love to create memories of my time afloat. It is pleasant to share them. :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Sirensailor
New Contributor

Post by Sirensailor »

It will be a while up here, the forecast highs from Sunday the 27th for four days are between -9C and -3C and we will be getting a bit more snow and nights to -17C. We have had a couple of days above +10C but generally just above or below freezing for the last week or two. The ice on Lake Nipissing where I sail is still over 24" and the water level is very low but will come up fast when we get real spring weather.The earliest I have had my boat moored at a dock is May 11 and I was one of the first boats around. Most marinas and yacht clubs launch around the third weekend in May but that is never a sure thing. We have also had years when the lake level is too high or too low and launching can be well into June.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I am hoping to get out this summer with the boat. Last summer saw both of my elderly parents with major surgeries. Father had open heart surgery to replace a bad valve and my Mother had a lung lobectomy to do an end run on some cancer. Both seem to be in better shape this year.

I could get out kayaking as it was in my backyard (not really) and work is right on the water. Kayaks are easy to set up and take out. If something happened to either, I could be home in a flash. The boat takes a minimum of half an hour to rig or down rig and I tend to go further out.