Where have all the sailors gone

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Where have all the sailors gone

Post by JacquesR »

I used to check this Forum almost everyday for new discussion on sailboats and sailors. Now I only check once in a while. It seems that most sailors are like bears and hibernating. I would think members have more time to chat during the off season, at least here in the cold North. Where are you all.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Where have all the sailors gone

Post by Michel »

It has been very quiet for some time now! Is that some effect of the pandemic?
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

I'm hunkered down in the cabin with diesel heater running and cat on my lap. Broke down and put the dinghy on the bow because of PNW winter rain - was needing to bail it out every couple of days).

I'll likely go down to Arizona after the new year to see my dad (also avoid some cold rain). A friend has a new to him M15 so may twist his arm to go for a sail on Lake Pleasant. Another acquaintance in the Phoenix area just completed (mostly as no boat is ever 'finished') a complete renovation of a fixed keel M17, VERY RARE model, that I'd love to go for a sail.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

Unfortunately I have sick and elderly parents to take care of. I doubt my Father will see his 73rd birthday this May. My Mother is doing better, but with a lung lobectomy and recurrent infections due to it, I was not able to raise the sail on either of my boats this year. I do not know about next.

I did just purchase a drysuit for kayaking in colder weather, but even that seems up in the air at the moment.
kanusport
New Contributor

Post by kanusport »

Im new here and it does seem a bit slow. Perhaps the forum format has seen its day, either way there is a lot of good info on here and I’m happy to be here. I just acquired a 2018 scamp that’s a gig harbor boat. I’ll be sailing it as soon as the ice thaws.
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

Thank you all for your response. I was worried there for a while. Merry Holidays to all and fair winds in 2022.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I have not posted in over a year but thanks to Michel I am back. This past year has not been a good one for me. There have been several deaths in my family and I have been in the emergency room twice. Once was pure stupidity on my part when I tripped over a rug I had rolled up in my walk in closet and fell on my store of "adult beverage" bottles. I thought I had cracked one or more ribs and was unable to walk for about a week. My younger brother and older cousin died in the past year and that depressed me. When those younger than you start dying you begin to examine your own mortality.

While I didn't sail I did go out to the boat frequently and just sit on it and piddle around with small task. Then for some reason I quit going to the marina until I got a call that the boat was sinking. I went out, pumped it out, recovered it and then nothing for about 6 weeks. Then two weeks ago I got another call that the boat was not sinking, it had sunk! When I got to the marina the only thing keeping it off the bottom was that it was tied to the dock on both the port and starboard sides. Thanks to some extremely helpful marina workers we managed to get the boat raised above the water line and I was able to completely pump it out. I reinstalled the bilge pump and got a new battery for the pump. I also made doubly sure the tarp covering the boat covered it completely. Then I have been back to the boat several times to insure its not filling with water again (the water from from the torrential rains we have not, not from an inherent leak in the hull)

Right now with mid day temperatures in the high 90's with high humidity over 95% I cannot tolerate more than an hour on the water. So, I hope to pick up my sailing in late September or October.

I want to thank Michel for thinking of me, getting me off my duff and restoring my interest in sailing, the Thinking Mans water sport!!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I am sure that I am not the only one happy to see you back! You had a bad year! I think it is justice that you deserve some real good time from now on! Take it easy and let us enjoy your great talent (and humor) in story telling. We all need that! :)
I am ready to be patient until September!... ;) I want pictures too!!!! :D
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

Art Haberland wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:47 am
Unfortunately I have sick and elderly parents to take care of. I doubt my Father will see his 73rd birthday this May.
It's sad, he made his 73rd, but died a not long after. We never even knew he had cancer until it was everywhere.

I just finished repainting Spark. Once I get all her hardware back on, I can take him on that last sailing adventure he wanted to go on with me. He deserves that at least.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

My condoleances to you and your family.
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~