Seaweeds and no sailing

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Seaweeds and no sailing

Post by JacquesR »

Went sailing yesterday or should I say tried to sail. First, had trouble getting out of the slip. Seaweeds all around the docks. I guess the warmer than usual summer plus the little rain we had is to blame. Water level is pretty low. Since my Piper is shallow draft, my slip is near the shore portion of the docks where the seaweeds are most present.

Got out of the slip OK but got only part way out before the boat stopped moving. Raised the outboard to clear the weeds then got going again.

By the time we got out of the basin, the little wind we had died altogether. Waited. Waited some more but the water was flat calm. Went back in. Got to the slip OK but slowly. Went home. Well, there is always a next time. :(
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Seaweeds and no sailing

Post by Michel »

I know the feeling! :)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Re: Seaweeds and no sailing

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

Some years back we tried to get our Catalina 34 into Union Springs, NY (Cayuga Lake - marked as an anchorage and dockage on our chart) and came to an absolute fill stop 150 yards offshore. I ended up making repeated masked but SCUBAless dives to chop our prop and winged keel free to get back out into clear water. Not a fond memory.

Itchy critters live in the weeds.
Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter