New Motor

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

New Motor

Post by lustyslogger »

Well, I finally did it. I found a 1978 Seagull outboard motor for sale near me. I bought it $150.00. Its 3.5 HP and is the same age as the Lusty Slogger. It needs a good cleaning and a starter rope. I hope to replace my trolling motor with it. Here's hoping. I will keep everyone up to date on my progress.
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Re: New Motor

Post by JacquesR »

There was a great article about Seagull motors in the September/October issue of Good Old Boat. Apparently, they are noisy, have no clutch or reverse but sip fuel and go on forever. $150.00 is a steal. Here, some reconditioned Seagull go for up to $1500.00. Keep us updated. It should be fun to hear your Seagull adventures.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

JacquesR wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:25 am
There was a great article about Seagull motors in the September/October issue of Good Old Boat. Apparently, they are noisy, have no clutch or reverse but sip fuel and go on forever. $150.00 is a steal. Here, some reconditioned Seagull go for up to $1500.00. Keep us updated. It should be fun to hear your Seagull adventures.

Actually, I found the motor through that article in GOB. In the last issue a reader wrote in about his experiences with Seagulls and that he had one if a writer from the Nov/Dec issue wanted it. I quickly sent an email to the Editors at Good Old Boat to ask him to contact me, he did and three days later the motor is in the trunk of my car.

The motor is of course showing its age but a little Simichrome Polish and some paint on the external fuel tank and it will be as good as new (assuming its legendary run for ever reputation is correct). It does have several drawbacks, the noise level (it is an unmuffled two stoke) and the fact it burns oil and gas so there are some lakes I would not be able to use it

BTW, its actually lighter than the 55KW Minnkota trolling motor I am currently using.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

These motors are something else! Looking forward to your impressions on it! :)

https://youtu.be/-adwm9K77pY
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

it's that burning oil thing that keeps me from having one.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:46 am
These motors are something else! Looking forward to your impressions on it! :)

https://youtu.be/-adwm9K77pY
Here is another video. This is the model of the motor I purchased, the 40 Plus. It actually came with a Service and Repair handbook, a parts list and two advertisement brochures for the motor. I have wanted one of these for years and about 4 years ago ran into one in an antique store in North Carolina. The owner wanted $250.00 (It was a Silver Century) but my wife and a good friend talked me out of it at the time. I went back later and it was gone! I wasn't going to let this one go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDR8zNC-80
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Art Haberland wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 am
it's that burning oil thing that keeps me from having one.

Well, there is that and I believe that is what actually drove them out of business. Their policy was no new models, just constant upgrades on the original and it seemed to have worked until the air pollution issue came into being. It came with the original stand so if worse comes to worse and it won't run properly I will simply polish it up and mount it on its stand and keep it in my office with all my other nautical paraphernalia.
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

So what happened. Did you try your new motor or did it end up on a stand.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

lustyslogger wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:40 am

assuming its legendary run for ever reputation is correct
They will run forever as long as you can get them started