Complete Disaster!

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Complete Disaster!

Post by lustyslogger »

I had not been sailing since Feb 11, 2020. I have been out to the boat many times to check on pump working, dock lines tight etc but I had not been on the water. I decided yesterday enough was enough.

When I got to the dock the wind speeds were between 8 and 13 kts, frankly right on the edge of my comfort zone. The temps were in the mid 70's and completely cloudless. I decided to go out banking on the winds dying somewhat as the day went on.

The lake I sail on is overgrown with hydrilla this year and will not be sprayed until next January but there was a clear channel out and around the beds. Once in the middle of the lake it was clear. Anyway, I went out, keeping Monkey Island to my starboard and had no problems. Once in the middle of the lake the boat performed well and even with the increased winds (now up to 15 to 18 kts) it was easily to handle. Suddenly the winds increased once again and were now touching on 20 to 25 kts. I was about 3 or 4 miles from the marina by this point and decided to head back. Well, the old girl decided to play games and not allow me to come about. No matter what I did she simply would not allow me to reverse course. I turned on the trolling motor only to discover either a dead battery or a bad connection because it would not run! I decided the only thing to do since I was too far from another ramp or shallow water to keep going forward was to jibe. Although I had pulled in most of the main sheet and had the mainsail centered it still whipped over at a high rate of speed when it reversed heeling the boat completely down to the gunnel with water beginning to come into the cockpit. I quickly clawed my way to the high side and hiked out to get the boat back on its feet. Fortunately it worked and now I was headed back to the marina in 20 plus kt winds. I knew I was going to have to tack in or at worst paddle since the motor was out. However the wind kept pushing me back toward the center of the lake, right into the hydrilla bed, which I now could not see. I soon found myself right in the middle of the "Sargasso Sea of Lake Harris" and was unable to move. It was now getting late and would soon be dark. I had to arrange for a Sea Tow to pull me out of the weeds and take me back to the marina (I had to pay for his trip back anyway and this was much faster). All in all it cost me $500.00 for the tow since there was no one else on the water right then. By the time the Sea Tow got to me I had actually drifted out of the hydrilla and probably, had it been daylight, could have sailed back but it was dark and the winds were still high.

So, yes it was a disaster that could have been averted if I had not decided i was a better sailor then I actually was and if I had insured the motor and battery were operational. I am now off to the marina to properly put The Lusty Slogger to bed (I just threw everything in the cockpit and made sure the dock lines were secure and went home!)

I need to pay more attention to the weather report, not only for rain but for high winds as well.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Complete Disaster!

Post by Michel »

That was a misadventure!! I don't know if you can reef your main but it is a world changer when you do.
If you don't have reefing points, you could as well lower the main and raise a jib in it's place as a "trysail". It is a proven method to be safe in high winds.
Imageunnamed (1) by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr
They are using a spinaker boom on the picture but you don't need that!

Also, why not having good long oars on your boat? These things works all the time!...Even on the Sargasso sea!... ;)
You would need ors that are at least 9 feet long to be effective.

500$ for a tow!!!!! Wow!!!! :cry: :shock: :o
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Yes, I have reef points but truthfully never felt the boat was overpowered. Perhaps I should have reefed the main when the wind started pushing me into the hydrilla. I have never tried rowing a boat vs paddling. That is another skill set I would work on acquiring!

When I had my Lugar Leeward 16 it had roller reefing of the main. I did use that a few times when sailing on the St Johns River in Jacksonville FL. I still got blown into the weeds once but I just sat there for a bit and then sailed right out of it. This time the boat wasn't moving, the temps were down to the mid 60's and it was growing dark. Mid 60's doesn't sound too bad but unless you are dressed in layers (which I was) you could suffer from hypothermia quickly. The coldest I think I have ever been was once in the Navy, off the coast of Vietnam in a misty rainfall. It was around 70 degrees and because of the wind and mist and temperature I absolutely could not get warm. I am sure I was becoming hypothermic.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Rowing is fun and simple. I did exactly like on this video to install my oarlocks.

https://youtu.be/lkTJnC9x-yU

It is not that hard to row. You don't have to do as in the Ben Hur movie! ;)

https://youtu.be/WXh1tW16V-8

You can make good distance and speed rowing. :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

This is me!... In 1959! I was 6 years old! :) I always loved rowing! They almost had to pull me out of the boat! ;)

Image26448_362079446075_7109974_n by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

My goodness, you haven't changed a bit!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

lustyslogger wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:41 pm
My goodness, you haven't changed a bit!
LOL!!!!!!!!! :D
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

That one is even more funny! ;)

Imagechal2 by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr

It was taken in 1972. I was 20 then. Still rowing!...And smoking!... :( It was the era of the mustaches! ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Because of being in the Navy and then afterwards working for a very conservative Western Maryland Railway in its corporate offices I was never able to let my hair grow over my ears. I did have a mustache and occasionally a beard but even that was frowned on at times. Of course today, I have no hair to grow long!! I think one of the most ridiculous "styles" is 70 year old bald hippies with long pony tails. When I went into the Navy I was 21 and weighed all of 115 lbs. Two years ago I was almost double that. I had a heart attack and went down to 170 which I have maintained since. I smoked cigarettes from the age of 17 to 35 but stopped when I almost put my cigarette in my son's eye. I now smoke a pipe except during the winter (not allowed to smoke in the house and don't need to bad enough to sit in the cold!)

By the way, other than the mustache, long hair and cigarette you still look exactly like you did at 6!! You are even holding the oars the same way! All I can say is you must have been a slow rower since it looks like you are still trying to get across that lake!!!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I also quitted smoking 25 years ago. I am very happy about that move. I could very well still not be here to tease you with my rowing pictures if I had not! We have to take care of ourselves as much as possible if we want to enjoy the time we have as best as possible.
By the way, I agree about the bald guys with long pony tails! :) And I am not the racing type, even with rowing but...I can do it for hours and hours! ;)

Here's an other one for good measures! (66 at the time) ;)

Imagerames123 by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~