Complete Disaster!

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Complete Disaster!

Post by lustyslogger »

Getting smarter in your old age, wearing a lifejacket I see!

Same lake? Same rowboat!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I did not wear any at 6 years old! My mother was just telling me to be careful on the lake! It was the same when I was older. At the time nobody used to wear those things. I don't know why! The same about about the safety belts in cars! It was non existent at the time.

No! Two different lakes and boats near Montreal and my actual boat on the Saint-Lawrence! ;)

I sure hope I'm getting smarter! :D
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I wear a life jacket about 3/4's of the time. I like the inflatable jackets because they are like wearing a necktie until you need them. They are completely unintrusive until you need them. However, having said that, the one time I fell in the water wearing an inflatable it failed to inflate. The reason was quite simple, unbeknownst to me it had previously inflated because of the high humidity in the cuddy where I stored it. It had inflated and then deflated so when I fell it the CO2 was depleted. So now I wear a jacket like the one you have on. Also, for the record no one goes out with me without a life jacket!

You are way ahead of me in your sailing experience. I went sailing for the first time at the age of 18. It was on a 14ft wooden boat but I can't tell you the name of the manufacturer. The skipper was the captain of the sailing team of the college I was attending and we went in the St Johns River in Palatka Fl. I, of course, was ballast and every time the boat would heel I would dutifully hike out over the side with my head down close to the water. The skipper would then come up into the wind, dropping the boat over and dunking my head!! I know he did it on purpose but I was hooked on sailing at that point. My first boat was an 11 foot, Styrofoam boat, not unlike a Sun Flower except this didn't have the ABS plastic covering. I paid a princely $75.00 for it. I sailed it all summer in Sillary Bay on the Magothy River in Maryland and then had to go on active duty with the Navy. While I was away someone stole the boat and set fire to it. After that I had two Sun Flowers, one that I actually sailed in the Chesapeake Bay and the other my ex wife won for me in a drawing. That one I sailed on small ponds in Jacksonville Florida. My first "real boat" was a Lugar Leeward 16 that I was back to sailing in the St Johns River, but now in Jacksonville. I traded that one for a motorcycle, at just the right time. The new owner took it out and the upper deck parted company with the hull! I had no idea that was about to happen! The new owner wasn't very happy with me to say the least but truthfully, had I known disaster was about to strike I would have never traded him. He kind of got back at me since the motorcycle's engine blew up about six months later! Then came half ownership in a Bayliner Buccaneer 22, then more motorcycles until getting run over by a truck and the purchase of the Lusty Slogger 10 years ago. Along with the Sunbird I had a Helsen 22, a nice boat but when I moved back to Florida I didn't have any way to haul it down here. So, I sold it for twice what I paid for it and recommissioned the Lusty Slogger and here I am today!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

You are mistaken here! The first time I "sailed" was in 2005! I was in my young fifties! I bought the Sandpiper 565, a 18½ sailboat with a small cabin and learned to sail by ear. Before I was happy going on the water in a row boat or canoe that I rented on occasions.

I was riding a 1981 1100CC Honda Goldwing before I got the boat. I sold it because I prefered sailing over riding and the bike was not used once the first summer!

After many years, I decided that I needed a boat that I could enjoy without having to care about renting a slip anymore. This was when I got the Tanzer 16 that I sail now.

And...I always wear as life jacket! :)

This is the very first sailing video I made. It was in 2006. I was sailing alongside an other Sandpiper 565, on the Saint-Lawrence. :)
https://youtu.be/Pz9fkBZ5Eo0
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I still do both. I currently also own a 2001 Suzuki GS500, the slowest motorcycle other than my first Jawa 125 I have ever owned!!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Ha ha! I remember those Jawas! Lots of airy space under the gas tank! ;) My first bike was a Kawasaki 90! The motor sounded like a weed eater gone mad! ;)

I certainly prefer sailing now! :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I will have to admit I spend more time recharging the battery on the Suzuki then I do riding it these days. I have always been a sports bike kind of guy with low handle bars and single seats. At 75 bending over the handlebars, with my butt sticking up in the air is just not a pleasant way to spend an afternoon! I much prefer lying back, clutching the tiller and scooting along at 2 or 3 kts in a gentle breeze. No noise, no worries about getting run over by tractor trailer rigs, no speeding tickets!

Speaking of Jawas, a friend and I both had one, I had moved up to a 250 Scrambler and he had a 350 California. When we rode with a group they always made us ride in the very back. We kicked out so much smoke and oil we looked like mosquito control vehicles.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Yeah! Those two strokes bikes were a mess! But I admit that I liked the two strokes small outboard motors a lot more than the typical small four strokes models. These 3.5 and 6 hp with their single cylinder are so noisy! The two strokes just purrr smoothly and even have more tork.
But I use oars now! ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

My biggest regret (other than not asking Felicia to the school dance) was not buying a Seagull outboard I found for $250.00 in an antique store in North Carolina. Those things were noisy, smoky, and about as simple as a Sunflower but their reputation was they would run until the cows came home! My wife talked me out of it as we didnt really know what shape it was in. I tried to tell her the only tools you needed to fix them was a rubber mallet, a can of WD40 and a roll of duct tape.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

They look like some kind of bug hanging to the boat! But they have a good reputation.
I had an old Johnson 6hp 2 strokes before. I made the mistake of selling it an getting a 6 hp 4 strokes, thinking a more "modern" motor would be better. Big mistake! OK, I got better "millage" out of it but that thing was so noisy! Somebody stole it one night and then I got a 3.5, still four strokes and even if it was a little better (less worse) I was not pleased with it. I suffer from tinnitus now and I am certain that I got it from that thing!
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~