Complete Disaster!

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Complete Disaster!

Post by lustyslogger »

I use a 55KW Minnkota trolling motor with a lawn tractor battery to save weight on the Lusty Slogger. It will push me right along at close to 5 kts. Its only drawback is you have no idea when it will run out of juice! I keep a solar charger on it and actually have never had a dead battery. When I was in TN I did run out of current a time or two and that was with a larger marine battery. When this thread started I said the battery had gone dead on the motor, that was incorrect. The leads to the battery had become disconnected. So, I added insult to injury as I could have motored out of my mess if I had noticed the battery connection!

I would like to get a small gas outboard but they are so damned expensive unless I buy one of those Chinese Maybiwork engines!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I am not to sure about those chinese outboard. Maybe somebody could say something about them?
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Too many little things go wrong with them. I read about 50 reviews on several different motors (all are probably made in the same factory or to the same design). Its about 50/50 on getting one that works most of the time and about 20% of getting one that out of the box is totally worthless, It seems that the most common complaints were (1), the tiller handle broke off easily (2), the starter cord broke (3) too loud (but then again so were the Seagulls). However based on the fact that Bass Pro Shop sells Mercury Outboards (also made in China) for $1500.00 plus and these are less than 20% of that price I guess you get what you pay for. I guess these are like the Jawa's of the 1960's!!!!
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

Why not look for a used outboard. I have an 1984 Johnson Seahorse 4.5 hp on my Sandpiper and I'm very happy with it. Obviously you may want something a bit smaller but I'm sure you could find one in your neck of the wood. It may take a while as they don't come on the market often. Worth a try.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Yes! You are right Jacques! I think that nothing can beat an old Johnson. Mine was a two strokes 6hp from 1975 and I really had regrets selling it after a very short while with the new 4 strokes! (Me*****) ;)!
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

Outboards -

For most boats under 20' for just going in/out the marina and motoring in light to moderate winds and not overly large waves a Honda 2/2.3 motor is more than adequate and just fine for cruising on most sailing craft in the 15'-17' range.

Most folks throw way to much horsepower at the boat.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

wdscobie wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 am
Outboards -
Most folks throw way to much horsepower at the boat.
I agree about that! Unless you have a planing hull, you will never go past hull speed, even with a big motor.
The only good thing about a "bigger" motor, say a 6 hp in two strokes and two cylinders is that it will be a lot less noisy and shaky than those single cylinder outboards! Based on my own experience! ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

JacquesR wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:00 am
Why not look for a used outboard. I have an 1984 Johnson Seahorse 4.5 hp on my Sandpiper and I'm very happy with it. Obviously you may want something a bit smaller but I'm sure you could find one in your neck of the wood. It may take a while as they don't come on the market often. Worth a try.
I have been looking for a 3 HP motor for years. At one time boaters were happy with small boats and would put small engines on them and used engines were readily available. However now everyone wants to get across the lake in seconds so "small engines" are 30 - 40 HP