Siren 17

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Siren 17

Post by Michel »

Hey that is true Norman! There is a definitive resemblance! :)

Imagesunbird16 by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr

Looking forward to your images Bob! ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

The Sunbird doesn't have a front window and seems to have cheaper hardware. Not as many safety features. The Siren outweighs the Bird by a bit and according to Sailing Texas will sell for a higher price, not that that matters to me as I intend to keep my Sunbird until the cows come home.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

If I am right, the Sunbird has a non ballasted centreboard. She is a dinghy with a small cabin. Very close to the Tanzer 16 "Overnighter" wich is my boat with a cuddy cabin to sleep in.

Tanzer 16 Overnighter.
Imageover by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr

The Siren has a ballasted swing keel (Maybe 130 pounds?)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Very close. The Lusty Slogger is actually 15' 11", (as is probably Papou in order to be under the 16ft rule for registration purposes). I have an unweighted centerboard. As far as sleeping in the cuddy is concerned, only if you are no older than 10. There is less than 3 feet of headroom in the Cuddy and while it may be long enough the mast support is right in the middle of the cuddy. One nice thing about the boat is that the centerboard trunk is within the cuddy and does not interfere with the cockpit. The cockpit would be large enough to sleep in but the mainsheet is rigged in the center of the boom, meaning all the hardware is in the center of the cockpit. I have tried sleeping on the seat but when I roll over I roll off!

Oh, I think the Siren may be a better boat than the Sunbird but it just ain't my boat, catch my drift?
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Papou is 16.33 ft
The mainsheet was originaly on the centreboard case but I rigged it at the stern. This way I can use the rolling boom reefing system without having to disconnect everything.

It is hard to sleep on the floor so I am thinking about using a few boards to create a bunk at the seat 's level. We will see that next summer. I will also make a boom tent.

But about the Siren, I think it can be used as a real trailer sailer due to it's weight and easy mast to raise. The cabin is nice too. Once inside it feels spacious. I would have to try one on the Saint-Lawrence and see how well it sails against the current. This is the main thing for me. :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Interesting about moving the mainsheet to the stern. I have asked about that several times and was told if the designer wanted it on the stern he would have put it on the stern. This means to me those responding didn't have a clue if it would work or not. Did it change the handling much? My Luger and my Helson were both rigged on the stern which gave me a lot of room in the cockpit.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

The only thing it changes is that I pull the sheet from the back instead of from the front! ;) It doesn't change the handling at all! :) No worries!
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

By the way! I sailed without a boom for a whole season some years ago! I got a lot of flack about it on this forum but the boat was sailing just fine! ;)

https://youtu.be/smBxenB8GvI
And It went well on all points of sail and in light and stronger winds!

We can do what we want with our boats! ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Sirensailor
New Contributor

Post by Sirensailor »

Help!(I guess SOS would be more appropriate on this site)
Mr. Low Tech here and I'd like to post some photos of my Siren but can't find a way to do it. Can I upload straight from my Mac?
I can post pics on other sites but I can't see how to do it here. If you have suggestions(simple) let me know.
Thanks...

Bob
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:43 pm
By the way! I sailed without a boom for a whole season some years ago! I got a lot of flack about it on this forum but the boat was sailing just fine! ;)

https://youtu.be/smBxenB8GvI
And It went well on all points of sail and in light and stronger winds!

We can do what we want with our boats! ;)
I remember that. Thought that was cool, just roll up the main and go home when you are finished sailing. I would guess that as long as you keep enough tension on the sail it doesn't matter how you keep it tight.

Well, as far as doing what we want with our boats, not quite. I wanted to mount a couple of nine pounders on the bow but the marine police were somewhat negative about that idea!

Sailboats are like motorcycles, they can and do reflect the various quirks of their owners