Siren 17

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Re: Siren 17

Post by JacquesR »

Hear Hear. How do we spread the word so that interested Siren owners respond. I really like the logo on the mainsail.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Question about the pandemic/plague.

In the Middle Ages they celebrated the end of a plague with wine and orgies. Does anyone know what might be planned for this one?
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I don't know but it should be of pharaonic proportions! :)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I had to look up the meaning of that one!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

lustyslogger wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:49 am
I had to look up the meaning of that one!
LOL Norman!!!!! :D
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Sirensailor
New Contributor

Post by Sirensailor »

I have owned a 1974 Siren since 2011 and sail her ("Up and Away") on Lake Nipissing which is near North Bay Ontario and I've been following this discussion for a few days. There was a review of the Siren in SCA #40 and I ordered a reprint of the article soon after I bought my boat, it may still be available from SCA.
These are great little boats and I have had a lot of fun in her and one of the best things is that she is easy to sail solo which is what I do most of the time. A furling jib and a Tiller Clutch(from SCA) and having all lines to the cockpit make it a comfortable and simple boat for solo sailing.
I would admit that it is not the easiest hatch to use to get into the cabin but since I am a skinny little guy it works for me. I have spent a few nights on her and once you get settled in the cabin she is very comfortable. One of the original options was a cockpit tent with screened windows and that made staying on the boat overnight a lot more comfortable and these get snapped up quickly if anyone has one for sale.I don't have one or need one.
There was a very active Yahoo Siren Owners group for many years but Yahoo has ended that. I believe a replacement may have started and I think there is a Facebook group but I'm not a Facebook person so can't say for sure.
Most of this summer was poor for sailing in my area...very hot, very cool, very wet, very windy or no wind at all...a mix of all these things and a very cold wet September. I have always had my boat at a marina so it is easy to sail and some years I've been out upward of 40 times but not this year. My boat came home in early October and will be back in the water in May or June depending on water levels, we have a short season up here.
Great little boats with an interesting history and I would be happy to try and answer any questions you might have about Sirens, I don't pretend to be an authority but I have spent a lot of time on my Siren and I love the boat.

Bob
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Hi Sirensailor! :) Hey! We are "almost" neighbors! ;) Welcome aboard! Do you have any images or videos that you could share with us?
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Sirensailor wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:30 pm
I have owned a 1974 Siren since 2011 and sail her ("Up and Away") on Lake Nipissing which is near North Bay Ontario and I've been following this discussion for a few days. There was a review of the Siren in SCA #40 and I ordered a reprint of the article soon after I bought my boat, it may still be available from SCA.
These are great little boats and I have had a lot of fun in her and one of the best things is that she is easy to sail solo which is what I do most of the time. A furling jib and a Tiller Clutch(from SCA) and having all lines to the cockpit make it a comfortable and simple boat for solo sailing.
I would admit that it is not the easiest hatch to use to get into the cabin but since I am a skinny little guy it works for me. I have spent a few nights on her and once you get settled in the cabin she is very comfortable. One of the original options was a cockpit tent with screened windows and that made staying on the boat overnight a lot more comfortable and these get snapped up quickly if anyone has one for sale.I don't have one or need one.
There was a very active Yahoo Siren Owners group for many years but Yahoo has ended that. I believe a replacement may have started and I think there is a Facebook group but I'm not a Facebook person so can't say for sure.
Most of this summer was poor for sailing in my area...very hot, very cool, very wet, very windy or no wind at all...a mix of all these things and a very cold wet September. I have always had my boat at a marina so it is easy to sail and some years I've been out upward of 40 times but not this year. My boat came home in early October and will be back in the water in May or June depending on water levels, we have a short season up here.
Great little boats with an interesting history and I would be happy to try and answer any questions you might have about Sirens, I don't pretend to be an authority but I have spent a lot of time on my Siren and I love the boat.

Bob

Welcome aboard. Its always nice to see new sailors come into this forum
Sirensailor
New Contributor

Post by Sirensailor »

Well thanks for the welcome from you folks. I have been a SCA subscriber for more than ten years and check the messages regularly but I have never had a reason to post anything but have enjoyed reading about your adventures(good and bad) with your boats. As far as being a "new sailor" I'm like many of you and first started sailing in my early teens sixty years ago (I can't believe it!) on my dad's boats and bought a Spindrift 13 foot sailboat about 15 years ago to get back out on the water and then bought the Siren in 2011, they were both built by the same company in Owen Sound Ontario.
I will sort out a few photos of my boat and put them in another post in a few days.
If you are in a warm area enjoy your time on the water, I'll be waiting for May 2021 and hoping it will be an early spring!

Bob
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I like the looks of the Siren 17. It bears a remarkable resemblance to the Sunbird 16, one of the finest boats in the known universe!

https://www.magzter.com/article/Boating ... ty-Slogger