On-the-water hand signals

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Garyh
New Contributor

On-the-water hand signals

Post by Garyh »

I am happily reading my way through the latest Small Craft Advisor, and, as is often the case, Howard Rice's column struck a nerve. He talks about the need for small craft sailing together needing agreed communication protocols and he mentions "on-the-water hand signals." Our little sailing group could certainly benefit from something like that! Last sail, for example, three of us are sailing in the local bay, heading for a lunch spot up a tricky channel, which is surrounded by some very shallow water. I am a quite a few boat lenghts in front, and realise from the rapidly shelving bottom that we have cut the corner too close. I make a 180 degree turn. The wind is kicking up, shouting is no good, so and I signal to the next boat that we need to zig zag to get some deeper water and enter the channel a few hundred yards away. My friend in the following boat misinterprets the signal, and thinks I am signalling that we need to go back to the ramp because the wind is kicking up. He turns and starts heading back. Our other sailing friend in the third boat sees both of us heading back so he turns around too. We are in boats of similar speed, so I now have to chase them down, which takes most of the next hour. They are both studiously looking forwards and dont see me gesticulating or hear me yelling. But eventually I get close enough to be heard, and we turn round, sucessfully find the channel mouth, and have a very late lunch. All good fun, but a bit frustrating at the time. Anyway, my question is, does anyone have a small sailing craft on-the-water hand signals diagram or know where such a thing could be sourced? We could always make a set up, but if there is already an agreed set of signals, that would be fantastic.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Re: On-the-water hand signals

Post by Art Haberland »

I am not sure such a thing exists. Though I am surprised you are not carrying small VHF radios. I never go out without mine, even if there is nobody to talk to.
GENE L
Regular Contributor

Post by GENE L »

I agree, I do likewise even if I go out on someone else's boat. I had a situation where the electronics on a boat I was sailing on went on the fritz/fried. Lucky for them I had my handheld in my 'seabag' that I carry with me!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I always carry a VHF radio along with my cell phone. I've only used the VHF a few times but it was a lifesaver when I did. The good thing about the radio is you can be out of sight but still be in contact. Once, when I was in East Tennessee I participated in the annual Labor Day cook out and overnight cruise. As I got off to a late start I was not in the company of any other participants. I was able to contact them and get instructions as to where the campsite was.

The disadvantage of the radio is that if you have one you are actually required by law to monitor it the entire time you are on the water.
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

THE ADMIRAL and I had several we used when we had a longer boat. Some adopted from waterskiing, some from hunting.

Mostly to do with anchoring and docking.

Back to the dock (flat of hand up and down on top of head).

Turn (index finger up and circling the hand in a vortex)
-- To Starboard (point off to starboard side)
-- To Port (point off to port side)

Faster (hand out to side, thumb up)
Slower (hand out to side, thumb down)
Neutral (Hand with index and ring finger extended up together (like the Cub Scout sign) and wobbled side to side (THE ADMIRAL & I also took ASL - she was a teacher)

Stop (palm of hand out and moving towards observer).

Depth? (right fist with index finger pointing down towrds top of left hand held flat palm down below- ASL).

Drop anchor (horizontal fist and then open with fingers downward (ASL again)).

Look (index & middle fingers in a "V" pointing towards your own eyes and then swinging in the direction to look).

That wasn't correct (heel of hand to own forehead)

Mildly disappointed (flat of hand to side or back of guilty party's head)

That REALLY wasn't correct (heel of hand to guilty party's forehead)

I should not sail barefoot (skip on one foot while holding the other foot in both hands)

There are yellow jackets in the boom (both arms flailing wildly followed by a jump to either port or starboard).

The boat is filling with water (both arms extended straight up while running in a 3 foot circle).
Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

lustyslogger wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:50 pm
The disadvantage of the radio is that if you have one you are actually required by law to monitor it the entire time you are on the water.
I do not consider that a disadvantage. If there exists the opportunity to help somebody, I will try to get there. What I do find sad though, is how few people in this area either have or use their radios. When I go down to the Chesapeake, the radio is in constant use as people make contact back and forth. In the Atlantic City area, I heard exactly one radio use all summer, and that was between the Coast Guard and a Vessel taking on water, otherwise it is completely silent around here.