Season is over

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Season is over

Post by JacquesR »

Hi all. Got my Piper out yesterday. Now to clean up her bottom and put her away. Didn't go out as often as wished but there is always next year. :?
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Season is over

Post by lustyslogger »

My season is just getting underway. From mid September to mid April the temps are in the 80's, rainy days are few, humidity is lower (not low but lower) and the winds are supportive. Now, from April to September its in the high 90's with 98% humidity and winds either zero or hurricane force!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

My season is 99.9% over!... There is still a slight chance of having the perfect day for a last sail!...Or two?... Indian Summer? ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I am hoping to get out one more time. but my hopes are not high. I took my trailer to pieces today to strip the paint and rust so when the suspension part gets here in two weeks, I can have it all shiny and spiffy for one last dip
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Oh boy!!! I tried to go sailing this morning. There was some wind and when I jumped into the boat the wind pushed the boat on the facing dock to fast for me to install the oars properly! Something caught as the boat made contact with the dock and I found that my tiller was broken!!! So, I took the boat home and made myself a new tiller but my sailing day is kaput! I still hope for an other good day!
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I have had issues with my boat all summer. From the bilge pump not pumping, to the main sheet being a mess and first the port shroud coming loose and then the starboard doing the same (with the mast almost falling on the boat next to me. The last was the shrouds were sagging and were very loose (probably as a result of the pins working loose). I finally got everything together (I double secured both shrouds with both a standard circle clip and then wired it again. I then wrapped tape around each connection) Now, the weather is cooling down and the winds are becoming more supportive of sailing. I just looked at the long term weather report and its rain storms almost every day until the 17th!!!! I haven't been on the water since February and am about to say, so what is a little rainstorm and high winds? Am I a sailor or a landlubber???

I'll see everyone on the 17th!
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

You are a sailor lustyslogger. Go for it and enjoy for those of us on the hard.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

You are a sailor Norman but it is said nowhere that a sailor must be a masochist! I would love to go sailing today but it is below 10 Celsius and there are gusts at 20 something knots! I'll pass and just wish for ONE nice day before winter! ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Now, another issue arises. Hydrilla growth has returned and we have about a mile of water as thick as an alfalfa field with hydrilla plants.

No plans until January to spray to kill the growth, which means it will only increase until then. I may be able to shirt around it near shore but that would mean I would have to motor out to the middle of the lake! Michel, you are right, I AM A SAILOR, not a panty waisted motorboat pilot!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

That thing is bad! A friend of mine used to keep his boat in a marina and his dock was enclosed in that thing! It was very hard to manoever in that salad and most of the time, he had to call for help and have his boat pull to the dock by a rope! Going uot was a question of chance, not having his prop full of the thing!

The worst was that nobody could take care of it! It was the environment for worms and other things of the kind and it had to be protected!!!!!
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~