Sail Ties!

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Sail Ties!

Post by Art Haberland »

This is the first year that in over 55 that Spark has sails with reef points. Two sets to be exact. While I have all the rope and pulley work done to reef her down, I find myself wondering what the best material to use for the ties are.

I have been using hanks of 4mm line to keep the sail tidy, but I would like something I can permanently leave in the sail to make reefing as neat and quick as possible. Any thoughts?
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Sail Ties!

Post by wdscobie »

3/16" should be great for buntlines. Cut to length and tie an overhand knot at the middle of the line, pull through the reef grommet, tie a second overhand knot right close to the grommet (opposite side of the sail from the first knot) to hold the buntline in place.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I have the rolling reefing system on my boat but I had the usual reefing system on my ex boat. I think the idea is to have a type of line that is easy to untie but stay tied when in usage. ;) You will be good to go now with a good reefing capacity. :)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Lachie88
New Contributor

Post by Lachie88 »

I have found over the years that the easiest sail ties are the Velcro with hook one side and look the other. They are completely adjustable, just keep each tie separate from each other when storing them if you need them in a hurry. They have many uses.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

Velcro, I never thought of that! I will have to give it a shot.
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

Art. I don't think Velcro would work with reef points. You would have to work it through the grommets and tie knots.
I use Velcro to tie down my main to the boom and it works well in that context. I think that's what Lachie88 was referencing.
Winter_Hawk
New Contributor

Post by Winter_Hawk »

I don't think I would want hard Velcro hooks rubbing on my sails. Use 3/8" line or, go to JoAnn's Fabrics and look for some heavy duty ribbon or something similar.