Hurricane

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Hurricane

Post by lustyslogger »

I was in St Augustine Florida yesterday and was speaking with someone about why have all the sailboats been taken out of the inner harbor. There were a large number of them on moorings there. I was told they were moved because of the impending hurricane and moved to a marina where they would be safer. I was always under the impression the worse place during a storm was tied up at the dock or on jackstands on the hard. I know the Navy moves its ships out to sea to ride out the storm. Would not these boats been safer on the moorings?

For the record, the storm didn't come within 100 miles of St Augustine as of 20:00 today 8/2/2020
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Hurricane

Post by Michel »

Some years ago, we got the tail of "Irene", here in Montreal! OK, it was not the full hurricane but we had some dammage. My small boat was dancing on her mooring! I was a bit worried about if she would drag the mooring!

https://youtu.be/3DPg2rCrUwg
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Think of what it would have been like if she were tied to a dock and smashed repeatedly into the pilings. Also, there is a clear danger to the storm surge lifting the boat, tearing her lines loose and depositing the boat hundreds of yards away in the middle of a highway like happened in New Orleans

I have been through a typhoon off the coast of the Philippines. This was on a 350 ft destroyer which had previously survived a storm that sank three other vessels during WW2. It was quite worrisome to say the least . I would have not wanted to be on Mari-Bell during Irene.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

During what we got of Irene, all the docks with the boats were dragged some distance downwind. It came very close to be a real mess! It is very rare that weather of that kind gets up to my region. It created lots of damage just south of Quebec.
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

That thing was over Montreal on last Sunday!

Imageorage by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

That is one scary looking cloud formation! I think I would have hid in my basement (if I had a basement) if that appeared around here.

As you know I live in Florida, in Ocala which is about in the center of the state. We didn't even get any rain here! We are 90 miles from the ocean and other than it cooling off to the high 80's we saw no sign of this latest hurricane. Of course the TV stations were all acting like it was the storm of the century and the entire state was going to be blown into Canada before it was all over!
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

This was a wild storm. Not very powerful, but it's track was funky. It rode right up and over Philadelphia. Living here so close to the ocean in New Jersey, I have never been so far "east" of a hurricane before. Usually they track off shore or just skirt the coast and we get the very wet western edge. The eastern edge if much drier, but the winds were horrible. NJ is not known for getting tornadoes, but we had three of them, Two five miles south of her and one twenty miles north.