Articles Wanted (Reader Boats and Boat Reviews)

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

Articles Wanted (Reader Boats and Boat Reviews)

Post by Editors »

Hi All,

Generally we have more articles submitted than we can possibly accommodate, but we actually have two needs at the moment:

1. Reader Boat articles: Have you repaired, upgraded or modified your factory sailboat significantly? Have you brought a tired old boat back to life? Did you build your own custom small craft? SCA readers would love to hear about it!

Our Reader Boat column is where SCA readers share stories about their boats. In 1200-1500 words, tell us about your boat—before your work and after. What modifications or upgrades did you do? Were they expensive? Were they successful? Would you do it differently next time?

Include 2-6 photos (large hi-resolution digital images preferred) with the article, and we’ll give it serious consideration. Please note that we do not pay for Reader Boat submissions.

2. Boat Reviews: Although we write all of these articles in-house, we're looking to sail reasonably popular trailerable sailboats (production or popular plans-built boats) for review articles. If you have a boat type we've yet to review, reside or will be visiting the Puget Sound area, and would be willing to take us out for a review sail, please let us know.

smallcraftadvisor@earthlink.net
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Articles Wanted (Reader Boats and Boat Reviews)

Post by Michel »

Hi all,
My boat was featured in the Reader Boat Column in the no:65 issue.
It was quite a trill to have my own litte article and my images in such a quality magazine.

I am certain that many have something to share about their boat and their experiences with her.

I like to read about experiences by my peers in small boats and see pictures too.

Give it a try! ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

A short clip about my article in SCA ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2cJ6Cogx4I
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

What a lovely video! Very professional and beautifully done.

Jackie Monies
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Thanks ! It is much appreciated!
It is a nice souvenir to me and I am sure that it would be the same for anyone who would share an article and pictures of his small boat for the magazine. ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
TitusTiger
Regular Contributor

Post by TitusTiger »

Are you interested in articles about sailboats that haven't been built for 27 years??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OnPace with Titus

Synergetic -- Paceship -12
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Sure. Half (or more) of our magazine features long out-of-production boats.—Eds
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Ed2
New Contributor

Post by Ed2 »

This past year I bought a SAROCA 17 multipurpose boat. Sail, Row, Canoe...hence the name. The company produced a good number of these during the 80-90s and then went out of business. First in the Northeast then in Florida. Several years ago I got one of the thermoformed plastic ones but then sold it for a Sea Pearl 21. But then I realized how much more I used the SAROCA so got another one this past year but in the original fiberglass. I believe the company is trying to start up production again...not sure. I think Jim Brown did an article on it in the Small Boat Journal...cannot seem to find the article anywhere but the company's website quotes it. Have seen one in pictures and video of the Watertribe's Everglades Challenge. I'm in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York so would not be able to bring the boat to you. But the Finger Lakes are a great place to visit.
Ed
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
spayment
New Contributor

Post by spayment »

Re: The Saroca in the Everglades Challenge—that would have been me. I was leading the class 4, solo male division at Checkpoint One in 2015 when the Coast Guard shut down the race. Fun boat though a bear to recover when dumped. Daggerboard also wasn’t ideal for expedition sailing in skinny water.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/15/gat ... tT9fYopChB

Fair winds,
Shawn “Lawless” Payment