Marinas to open soon? Maybe.

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Marinas to open soon? Maybe.

Post by JacquesR »

Here in Québec, Canada,authorities have said that Marinas should start preparing to open but no date has been given. Hopefully soon but i'm not in any hurry as temperatures have been on the chilly side these past weeks. :)
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Marinas to open soon? Maybe.

Post by Michel »

It is hard to tell for sure when they will open! Maybe by the end of the month?

I will again use the municipal boat ramp near my home. I will begin my new season as soon as the level of the St-Lawrence is ok for launching. ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

Authorities have announced that Marinas may open as of June 1. Yeah. Must finish preparing my Piper.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

Around BC's Salish Sea things are opening to locals. The isolated communities are not wanting visitors with the First Nations explicitly stating 'don't come here'.

WA State is stumbling open but many folks don't get social distancing, group up and disregard wearing a mask ... and WA is much better than most of the US in following the new normal.

The longer term outcome is if there is a reversal in the falling number of cases. If folks' lack of distancing causes an increase in numbers it will get bad fast as belief in the social contract has, it seems, all but collapsed. If the numbers stay low things may limp along till the Fall/Winter 'cold and flu season' arrives and we will see what this disease chooses to do.

I've sheltered with my dad since this started as living aboard, especially gunkholing around, isn't possible - no places to stop to reprovision for a transient boat.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

They will open on the first of June in my region (Quebec) Social distancing will still be in effect and sailors will not be able to visit other places unless they want to face angry crowds with pitchforks and torches! ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

What? You mean time honored pillaging is being frowned upon? Why own a boat if we can't do some recreational pillaging?

Actually, here in Florida the docks have always been open but the marina's themselves have been closed, ergo no access to supplies etc. Furthermore all of the lake side restaurants have been closed. So, unless you just wanted to go out a few miles and then come back there wasn't much point in sailing. You couldn't even sit around the slips BS'ing with other boaters.