Another Book Report #4

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Timo
Regular Contributor

Re: Another Book Report #4

Post by Timo »

I don't think Wayfarer is any more seaworthy than John Welsford's Navigator, probably even less. Frank Dye didn't try any similar ocean voyages again, and actually didn't even sail back from Iceland. I think he just realized how lucky he was to survive. The Sea Takes No Prisoners is a good book.
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

lustyslogger wrote:Can you imagine 700 miles of this in this boat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOlCTjKY8Gc
Maybe but not with that kind of sailing! I am not the kind who likes to sit outside the boat! I prefer to reef "enough" and sail sitting inside the boat! ;) I often sailed with the jib rolled also. Great for confort and the boat still sail upwind good enough ! :)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

Michel wrote:
Maybe but not with that kind of sailing! I am not the kind who likes to sit outside the boat! I prefer to reef "enough" and sail sitting inside the boat! ;) I often sailed with the jib rolled also. Great for confort and the boat still sail upwind good enough ! :)
this summer I had my GP14 out on a blustery day, I left the jib rolled up and sailed under reefed main alone. There were a few times I still got that boat up onto a plane with just that small bit of canvas.

Wayfairers weigh a ton, it's what makes them good sea boats. What they give up in freeboard compared to Navigator, the make up with wide side decks, a fully enclosed bow, and a good stern deck. What water makes it up over the side needs to make it over the decks too.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I think most 16 foot dinghies are made that way. I have the wide side decks and everything on my Tanzer 16. These Oday daysailers looks very good too. But I believe that the sailor has to decide about ajusting to the conditions. ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Art Haberland wrote:
Michel wrote:
this summer I had my GP14 out on a blustery day, I left the jib rolled up and sailed under reefed main alone. There were a few times I still got that boat up onto a plane with just that small bit of canvas.

Wayfairers weigh a ton, it's what makes them good sea boats. What they give up in freeboard compared to Navigator, the make up with wide side decks, a fully enclosed bow, and a good stern deck. What water makes it up over the side needs to make it over the decks too.

According to the specs a Wayfarer weight slightly less than 400 lbs, about 100 lbs less than my AMF Sunbird 16. I have had it out in 15 to 20 kt "breezes" and it was a handful. I would hate to be caught in 40 or 50 kts winds!

My rule of thumb has always been if when I am walking down the dock I can hear the halyards slapping against the mast of the other boats I stay on the dock!