Time to rig Scamp at boat ramp?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Somersjr
New Contributor

Time to rig Scamp at boat ramp?

Post by Somersjr »

I am new to the form and am considering building a scamp via the kit.
I have some questions however before making my final decision.

The first is how Long does it take to rig the Scamp at the boat ramp.
This would not be after a highway trip where everything was battened down.
My boat ramp is an easy 10 minute drive from my house.

Jim
Jim
Bradenton FL
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Re: Time to rig Scamp at boat ramp?

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

Depends.. Can you go in the middle of the night when no one will stop you to talk about how cute your boat is? That will make rigging go much faster.
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Jim,

My closest locale is similar to yours. With no wait at the ramp, my out the driveway to casting off is about 30min. I might save 5 min if I didn't have those darn lazyjacks always on the wrong side of the yard. I have to come up with a better stowage and setup.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

I've got it down to under ten minutes to remove forward trailering mast/boom/yard support, step mast, hoist sail (check lazy-jacks etc), and lower rig, ready to roll down the ramp. Until you get a good, repeatable step for the lazy-jacks stowage, it will drive you crazy.

I have a small SCAMP banner to hang over the aft quarter when I'm hanging about at the launch area. It has basic info on the SCAMP as well as the SCA web address and phone number. Easy to give a "Can't talk now, on-deadline" comment and point to the banner. Spectators really do slow you down at times.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

simeoniii wrote:...
I have a small SCAMP banner to hang over the aft quarter when I'm hanging about at the launch area. It has basic info on the SCAMP as well as the SCA web address and phone number. Easy to give a "Can't talk now, on-deadline" comment and point to the banner. Spectators really do slow you down at times.
Dude! What a good idea!

As for ramp time, Gabrielle's mast can be stepped on the water so ramp time is just me parking the truck. As soon as I get back to the boat, I jump in and somebody starts rowing (usually me).
BirdwingStoredSmall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Herman
Regular Contributor

Post by Dick Herman »

I've got it down to an easy 20 minutes, and like Simeon said, it's the lazy jacks! I haven't figured out an easy and quick way to stow the lazy jacks but am thinking of some type of spool or frame. I'm getting good at answering questions while rigging.

I'm having a problem with the aft bow I use to rig my boom tent. The arc is too acute and the fiberglass pole splits. It is still useable, but lopsided. I' looking for a more flexible fiberglass pole or another material that can form an arch with a 54" diameter.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Jim that is one very good questions...as far as I can see this is my first sail boat and cause I am a novice and I am still trying to rig my SCAMP the right way. For me about one year. Oh yes...And my boat is always at the ramp. It is still not correct. Wish the plans where more detailed for a novice like me. Many Scamp owners have try to help me on this forum but I don't always know the terms of the words that they use...sheet, line, lazy jacks, down haul, up-haul, etc....sounds Greek to me. You get my drift don't you. Oh yes Drift! I know that word.

By the way Jim welcome to the Forum....You may love this boat,,,it's a lot of fun,,,plus a real looker. Manny great guys here willing to help also. Give it a try.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Dick Herman wrote: I'm having a problem with the aft bow I use to rig my boom tent. The arc is too acute and the fiberglass pole splits. It is still useable, but lopsided. I' looking for a more flexible fiberglass pole or another material that can form an arch with a 54" diameter.
Dick -

I'm still working on a mock-up shelter using tarp material for Noddy but have some ideas

Following advice from a Seattle Neil Pryde rep I talked to at the Boat Show, he has been using "rod" sail battens for awnings and shelters he has built. Less expensive that the "flat" composite (fiberglass?) battens I had planned to research. In the meantime, I'm working on shape and easy attachment methods.

I am currently using two 1/4" fiberglass reinforced rods from 48" driveway reflector markers, trimmed to 44" each. They seat in the oarlock sockets on each side of the cockpit and are joined at the ridge-line using a 1/2" flexible PVC conduit elbow that is attached to a 3mm thick ply backer board. That is two pieces epoxied together at about a 90 degree angle with the conduit bolted onto the inner (concave) side of the assembly.

That assembly with the arched rods hangs on the ridge line with the "tarp" draped over it and pulled down to the sides.

I'm using a single arched support in the middle (centered on oarlock sockets) with 8-Plait Pre-Stretched Dacron Braided Line, 5⁄32" (4mm) for ridge-line and lower perimeter lines, along with custom bungees. The ridge-line runs between the mast and the aft "boom crutch"

I'll post a new thread with full photos in about a week after I have finished and tested the mock-up.

(Supplies from Home Depot. Driveway reflector markers, $2.18 ea, conduit elbow $4.70, clamps & ss bolts $4.50)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Bchrovers
Regular Contributor

Post by Bchrovers »

Dick

I am using one pole for support in my oar locks. It is made out of flat batten material. I am not sure where you are measuring your arc from, but the peak on mine is 38" from the floor. It has not really been used and abused yet, but so far it is holding up without any signs of stress.

Marty