Sail Numbers and Logo Placement

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Sail Numbers and Logo Placement

Post by pocketyacht »

Sail number location is rather important as we go forward developing the Class.

Below is draft wording from the SCAMP Class Rules I have been working on.

I based the location of the logo off of the original SCAMP design sheet (plans) because it looks right to my eye. Once the logo location is decided and set by the SCAMP Class Board then I will add specific location measurements.

Below is quoted from page 9 of the SCAMP Class Rules.

Class Logo- The official class logo shall be applied to the sail as per the design sheet location specifications.

Sail Numbers and Assignment- The objective of the SCA is for members to utilize only sail numbers assigned by the National SCAMP Class Association (NSCA). These numbers are to be uniform as per class association specifications with the aim of ensuring numbers are easily read. The NSCA shall assign to each member of the Class a unique hull number/sail number, which shall be displayed on each side of the sail. This requirement shall be strictly enforced at all Class affiliated or Class sanctioned regattas and races.

Size and Shape- The numbers shall be rounded in shape (rounded corners) and of the following dimensions: Height: 10± 1/2”, (254± 13mm), Width: 7± 1/2” (178± 13mm), and Thickness:1 3/4± 1/4” (45± 6mm)

Color- For cream and white sails, numbers shall be dark red or black. White numbers shall be used on dark sails. All digits on a sail must be the same color.

Placement- Sail numbers shall be placed parallel to the bottom of and 2 ± . inches or (51 ± 6mm) below the SCAMP class logo (the lantern). The number whether single or multiple digits shall be placed (mid point of the number or numbers) centered with the center line of the logo. The number on the starboard side of the sail shall be placed above the number on the port side with a 2+. inches or (51+ 6mm). Space between adjoining numbers shall be 2± . inches or (51 ± 6mm). Numbers placed prior to adoption of the SCAMP Class Rules shall be accepted as class legal as long as the numbers are legible (same size as indicated in the Size and Shape description. 12" numbers shall be allowed if applied prior to adoption of the SCAMP Class Rules.

Effect- The requirements for size, shape, color and placement of numbers shall be enforced at all SCAMP Class Association sanctioned and affiliated regattas and events.

I know the number and logo placement section of the rules are not in effect as the rules are not adopted and that given these are my words they might be revised by the future SCAMP Class Board. However given my experience in developing OD class rules I feel we are at least good on the above.

Hope this helps folks with number placement.
scamp14
Regular Contributor

Re: Sail Numbers and Logo Placement

Post by scamp14 »

My understanding is that the sail and hull number is allocated when the plans/kit are bought. So if there is a class association which is also allocating numbers, presumabley only to its members, there could be considerable confusion. No doubt this has been considered, but It would be nice to know how it will be resolved.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Josh Colvin registered the class with US Sailing and as the manufacturer, class organizer or whatever we wish to call him his business Small Craft Advisor is the only source for hull/sail numbers. In other words his business Small Craft Advisor Magazine is the sanctioning body of the class association.

So #14 you are #14
scamp14 wrote:My understanding is that the sail and hull number is allocated when the plans/kit are bought. So if there is a class association which is also allocating numbers, presumabley only to its members, there could be considerable confusion. No doubt this has been considered, but It would be nice to know how it will be resolved.
Arlie
Regular Contributor

Post by Arlie »

I hope there is a grandfather clause as to the color of the lantern logo. As one of the first Scamps built we would feel neglected to be excluded. As far as I know, we had faithfully followed the plans as directed while building Humu. Our sail was made before we were aware of sail rules. Our logo and the number 74 are aqua blue/green matching our gunwale accent stripe.
stevegrim
Regular Contributor

Post by stevegrim »

G'day Josh and fellow SCAMPers,
Just been reading the above post and noticed the class association named as
'National SCAMP class association' and I wondered why it's not 'INTERNATIONAL
SCAMP class association' ?
I've almost finished building SCAMP No. 81 from plans... just got to finish painting and making the spars. I will post photo's when all complete.
All the best and fair winds ...........Steve Grimwood
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

Howard,
This is very timely for me. I unrolled my Pryde sail for the first time this weekend, but was busy fussing with other things and didn't get to the numbers. It's a very nice sail, and came with telltales which I will move away from the seams to avoid tangles. It's all coming together!
Mike #170
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Arlie
No worries. Although I can't speak for the Association Board (it's not fully configured yet and I likely won't be on it) I can say this as author of the class rules and constitution and hoped for advisor role. I am the one carving out the words that put gents and ladies like you in the class association, you are IN in a most grandfatherly manner! What would the class be without the mighty Humu?
Best,
howard
Arlie wrote:I hope there is a grandfather clause as to the color of the lantern logo. As one of the first Scamps built we would feel neglected to be excluded. As far as I know, we had faithfully followed the plans as directed while building Humu. Our sail was made before we were aware of sail rules. Our logo and the number 74 are aqua blue/green matching our gunwale accent stripe.
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Good feedback all. I see no immediate reason not to refer to the class as the International Scamp Class Association—our focus is clearly international, as is our registry, and certainly we aim to be as inclusive as possible.

Technically we are registered with the U.S. Sailing Association, so perhaps that plays a part in how we need to proceed. However the actual registration is under: Scamp Class Association. Maybe Howard can chime in here as I know he's had experience with domestic and international classes. —Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

**I just read Josh's post. I think we posted simultaneously. "International" it is. The documents are in draft form so this is an easy edit.

Good point Steve.

I believe Josh registered the class as the National SCAMP Owners Association, which is why I elected to use National. I will ask him the exact wording.

I can easily change the wording to "International" at this stage since the document is in the draft stage.
stevegrim wrote:G'day Josh and fellow SCAMPers,
Just been reading the above post and noticed the class association named as
'National SCAMP class association' and I wondered why it's not 'INTERNATIONAL
SCAMP class association' ?
I've almost finished building SCAMP No. 81 from plans... just got to finish painting and making the spars. I will post photo's when all complete.
All the best and fair winds ...........Steve Grimwood
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

As a note the US Sailing Association does not involve itself in the details of how a class is configured or named. I suggest that Josh contact US Sailing and make a change to the class name. Perhaps: The International SCAMP Class Association."
Editors wrote:Good feedback all. I see no immediate reason not to refer to the class as the International Scamp Class Association—our focus is clearly international, as is our registry, and certainly we aim to be as inclusive as possible.

Technically we are registered with the U.S. Sailing Association, so perhaps that plays a part in how we need to proceed. However the actual registration is under: Scamp Class Association. Maybe Howard can chime in here as I know he's had experience with domestic and international classes. —Josh