SCAMP OD Class Board, Constitution and Rules

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

SCAMP OD Class Board, Constitution and Rules

Post by pocketyacht »

Hello Gents and Ladies

I hope SCAMP sailors will begin to chime in here on "what you want your class to be." I am looking forward to the coming Red Lantern SCAMP get together so owners can kick off the class organization there after a pre meet review of the rules and constitution with the aim of adoption by vote at the meet.

The Constitution and Rules are more or less done but good science has required delay until all factors about the boat are more or less known. I have been chipping away at them for some time now and have tried to reflect any changes made to the boat, owners input, etc. I'll get going on finalizing them for posting. I'll ask Josh how he wants to do the posting so owners can review them and hopefully give input here on the forum.

My aim with the SCAMP Constitution has been to reflect the following values/factors in the constitution- Safety, fun, education, social gatherings, group cruises, racing and most importantly the inclusion of "all SCAMP owners regardless of modifications made to boats."

My aim with the SCAMP Class Rules has been to define what a SCAMP is and to set One Design and Open Class standards that are acceptable to owners.

I have taken the position of creating a set of strict one design parameters (definition of a SCAMP) that will allow owners who wish to race to race on as level a playing field as possible and to help keep the cost of building a competitive SCAMP down. Non OD SCAMP's will be welcomed at all events and may race in an open SCAMP division. This said racing is in my mind "not the primary objective of the class." This said I am not the person who can decide any of this, its up to owners and then the Class Board of Directors.

Racing as I see it is going to first and foremost focus on low stress chuckle head fun and will also in other forms focus on serious performance racing.

I suggest that anyone interested in volunteering to be a SCAMP Class Board member do so here and if nominations are in order then please nominate folks.
Nominated names of course do not have to accept.

I would like to kick this off by nominating Josh Colvin as a Board member (Hey Mr. Editor you have been nominated;-).

Two other sailors have volunteered, I hope they are still interested. I have elected not to mention their names here as some time has passed and hope they will volunteer or be nominated. The Constitution lists nine Board members.

What is required of a Board member:
1. Not much.
2. Ideally the Board can meet in person once a year and all other Board business can be conducted via email, etc.
3. Give input on boat and class development.
4. Consider and make changes to the rules and constitution.
5. Direct class development.

Hope this gets the creative juices flowing. If folks have requests and ideas this is the time to put them forward and this forum a great place to do it.

This is going to be fun.

Respectfully,
howard
David E
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP OD Class Board, Constitution and Rules

Post by David E »

All excellent points, Howard.

First, I would like to nominate John Welsford for the board for all of the obvious reasons and to recognize him for creating this marvelous little vessel.

Second, I would like to nominate Howard Rice to board. As the person who seems to have single-handedly begun development of the class he seems essential to its further development.

Do I have any seconds?

David Estep
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Thanks, Howard. Not only for taking the lead on this, but for all of your other efforts on behalf of SCAMP and the class.

I second both of Dave's nominations.

I would also like to nominate Simeon Baldwin for the board. He is as engrossed in the SCAMP project as anyone, and always ready willing and able.

Best,
Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

I'm willing to volunteer my efforts along with the other esteemed nominees.

:shock:
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Consider yourself drafted, er nominated Keith.
I also nominate Dave Estep as he can bring legal advice and much more to our efforts.
knasman wrote:I'm willing to volunteer my efforts along with the other esteemed nominees.

:shock:
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Don't know what our nomination/election bylaws are yet :o but I'll certainly second Keith and Dave's nominations if I am able. —Josh
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Thanks Dave
I am honored and appreciate the nomination but perhaps I should just be an advisor and like others a member of the Association.

I would like to hold off on my nomination to make room for other SCAMP builders/owners to be nominated or to volunteer. I have previously been the founder and national director of one of the largest OD classes in N America and therefore may be a good advisor.

Getting more owners involved in direction development and management is important to the growth of the class.

I like the idea of John Welsford on the Board, every Board needs a fuzzy Kiwi!
David E wrote:All excellent points, Howard.

First, I would like to nominate John Welsford for the board for all of the obvious reasons and to recognize him for creating this marvelous little vessel.

Second, I would like to nominate Howard Rice to board. As the person who seems to have single-handedly begun development of the class he seems essential to its further development.

Do I have any seconds?

David Estep
David E
Regular Contributor

Post by David E »

Thank you for the nomination, Howard. I am willing to help out with the class in whatever way I can.

David Estep
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

I'm going to return to David's nomination and insist Howard accept. It only makes sense that you should have a vote and be a part of the first board, Howard. I believe this had already been seconded and I'm sure we can get a third ;-) I hope you'll reconsider...or else.

—Josh
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

I'd also like to nominate Steve Haines, owner of #6 (Florida). He's been an early advocate for the boat and is a friend to small-boat sailors.

I believe Johnny Walker in Colorado also expressed some interest in joining the board. Glad to nominate you as well, Johnny. We need someone representing the interests of the rebel faction! —Josh