Zephyr Cruises

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Derek
Regular Contributor

Re: Zephyr Cruises

Post by Derek »

So ½ a plank left out of the water, sailing along,,, obviously overpowered,,,,,,,, and if your steering properly she will resist,,, but when the wind pushes hard with absent, non-corrective tillering, she will put the deck in the water., This was the coolest thing to see, from a mere 8 inches away I watched the deck drown, the water rushed over the deck to meet your lap? NO the COAMING!, The coaming is a perfectly designed feature for keeping you dry and adding so much salt to an already salty mini-micro-cruiser. These extra 5 or 6 inches really keep a LOT of water out of the boat. A sweet back rest, oar mounts, extra freeboard to keep water out,, and the lines fit the boat! Welsford nailed it.

Now if you want to continue going over and capsize sheet in hard, and set Scamp up for an awful stance,,, or swoop full speed perpendicular to the wind.

Once Keith and I agreed to try to get Zephyr over we set an aggressive sailing stance. “really heeled over-we know it’s not faster-but it feels so good” I yanked in on the main sheet from the low side, near the same time Keith stepped over to the low side with me,,,, Ohh yeah,, she’s going over now….. Laughing all the way , into the Willamette river we went. Keith jumped in once he knew the boat was going over, he flipped the mainsheet over his head, and zipped around the back of the boat… Howard you would be proud. Meanwhile I’m laughing ,,,, sitting with my back in the water,,,, legs going straight up.,., I realized then that I was a part of Science so I should get in the water,, but wait,, an observation! My easy chair kept leaning back,,, is the mast thinking about going under?….. ok, I pushed off and got In the water. While floating I realized it would be funny to pull the surprise scope on Keith. The Old “What’s up Dude?... why you in the water?”

While Zephyr was on her side I crawled in on my side, felt the boat start to right, and up I went. The boat sure seems quick, and easy enough to right. I love that she doesn’t flip back over on the other side. I was watching some struggling Laser captains go capsize to capsize. I also saw a guy ripping around that looked a bit like Richard! The scurvy dog, upon further scurvyness I found I was mistaken… not Richard.

Keith surprised me by grabbing his camera instead of climbing up right away… He did the two part re-entry. An upper body pull-to lower body step. We sailed away carrying a heavy load! Inspirational heavy,,,, like lets camp on a beach for 2 weeks heavy.

Ohh Scamp Fantasy next!
Last edited by Derek on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

Time to share my SCAMP fantasy. Don’t deny it,, We all have one. I’ve read a couple on the forum.

Scamping fully loaded, with the goal of camping on land for an extended period of time. Workboat style, solo or with the wife. One, Two weeks…. Maybe a Month for bearded people! Dale, that means you.

I saw a glimpse of scamp’s full potential when sailing Zephyr with a cockpit full of water. Workboat style camp trip; sail in campsite, either on the sound,,, or big wild lake (Coeur d’ Lane?). Out in the woods for sure,,,,Trailor in and sail to epic site,,, could be a day sail to the site, or multiple nights hoping across the sound.

Set sail fully loaded. I’m thinking a trip with all the heavy, comfortable gear, luxuries like firewood, canvas wall tent, and beer,, The kitchen stuff: thick walnut cutting board,, two nice knifes, sink, hammock, chess set,, wine,, thick house plates.. pepper grinder, coffee galore

All the while Scamp # 169, Sail Vessel Liberty 53 is towing a salty nutshell pram,,,,,, loaded with water,,,,,,and more beer.

The goal would be to sail to the long term camp in the somewhatwild more secluded the better,,,,, other sailors are fine, but causing more tan lines!

You get the idea,, I’m a teacher married to a teacher. We can find a week or two during the summer. Two weeks in the Puget Sound sounds just about right. The wife and I had a great time mini-cruising the Catalina 27, I asked her to marry me on that boat!).
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

Thank you both for the inspiring story. I got right out and sanded on my scamp until dinner. About bailing....pumps are for gear catalogs. Nothing moves water like a determined sailor with a bucket.
Finish it off with a Clorox bottle or what ever you use.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Derek,

You filled in the perspective perfectly! When are we sailing Hood River? Time to rig up that second reef and get that dry/wet suit!!!

Roger,
True enough! With a mounted pump you'd have a better chance with one hand on the tiller and sheet and one on the pump (sailing solo). In reality though you'd be sailing yourself out of danger no matter how much water was in the cockpit or you'd just let the main fly and deal with the water.

I did note to myself when I was in the water ready to re-board that the sail was sitting there very calmly. Zephyr was still moving though because while I was futzing with getting the camera off of me, and pulling my glasses and beanie off in the process, Zephyr almost got away from me.

I wanted to dump her a few more times but one gets cold FAST. The water temp was 64F and the air was about the same not including the windchill at 12-14kn. It was more prudent to just get dry and enjoy the sail.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

You guys are having way too much SCAMPfun! Thanks for the inspiration to mount the last two cam cleats on mine and get sailing. Hopefully there'll be pictures of Gabrielle sailing in a week or so. Have to coordinate the photo chase boat with the maiden sail voyage (already went fishing with the motor). Promised John Welsford capsize tests because of all the heavy modifications to my boat and I'm not really looking forward to that but I'll be doing some "let's get acquainted" sailing before that. Thanks for the great stories but you know we want pictures!
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Capsize day vs. Fall day. Same river. I've got to get back out there this weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Zephyr visits St. Helens, OR on the mighty Columbia River

I headed out in the early afternoon with not a leaf moving figuring at least I'd get out on the water and do some rowing. The Columbia was having none of that! Even as I took the road off the highway down to "Historic St. Helens" on the river, I could see no breeze in the tree tops. I parked the rig in the parking lot and walked over to sketchy, private launch ramp to see if launching was possible and when I looked out to the river I was pleased to see some nice wind waves coming up the river.

Only one side of the ramp was workable, the other side had a sand bar right in the lane as it was almost low tide. What was left dropped off substantially. This was my kind of launch. Only one trailer in the parking lot and no one around to make me rush. I set up the rig, hung the rudder, set out a fender and the dock line and backed Zephyr down. Everything went well, the last foot surprising me because in 12 inches Zephyr was floating. The ramp just disappeared into the marina dredging. I was thankful that I hadn't gone off the end of a cement ramp. That is the stuff of nightmares.

I parked the truck and walking back down the ramp I thought, "No one's around, why don't I be bold and SAIL off the dock!". Let me orient you a little in the attached picture. The river current is going from the dock side to the open water side of the picture. The wind is doing the exact opposite. I walked out on that little sand bar to the left and it just drops right off into the water so I can come right up to it and tack. Between that and the dock is about 30ft. Short tacking for sure!
Zephyr St Helens.jpg
I hauled up the sail and moved her out to the end of the dock holding my line like a bridle on a race horse. Centerboard down....check. Rudder down....check. Now power up the sail and flick the dock line off. Crap! Here comes that dock! TACK! Now here comes that sand bar. TACK! Frightening amount of leeway before we accelerate. A couple more of those and I'm on a port tack and because of that initial leeway I'm just not going to clear that power cruiser at the end of the dock and I can't come about. No room left to gybe especially against the current. I move forward and lean out and am able to catch his anchor in my hand and stop the little forward progress. I push Zephyr backwards and am able to get the nose through the eye of the wind and off on a starboard tack straight for a cement overflow. One, two, three seconds, TACK! Zephyr comes through just like she's supposed to and I grin widely as we now harden on a port tack and straight out into the river!

Directly across the river from this marina is Sand Island. Enjoying the fresh breeze I head across and pause in the middle to open the plug to start filling the water ballast. I absolutely love the way you can just let go of the mainsheet whenever you want and she'll just sit there waiting for you. That might have had a bit to do with the leeway at the ramp. Now we are bouncing around in the chop and I'm noticing that there are actually 1-2 ft swells coming up the river. That darn water ballast just doesn't fill fast enough! I decide to go over to Sand Island and nose up on the beach to finish filling it instead of getting thrashed around. This done I push Zephyr's nose out and wearily eye the piling just down wind. "If I don't get that centerboard and rudder down quick enough I might tangle with that bad boy". I shove off and the bottom drops away and I drop the rudder. Instant steerage! I can worry about the CB in a few moments. Solo launch from beach....check. Didn't even get water over the top of my wellies.
St Helens Ship.jpg
We romp to windward as I've now decided the day's exploration will be a circumnavigation of Sand Island. A large container ship stately cruises upriver at 15kn throwing a huge wake onto the downstream end of the island. Seeing that happen I tack and then tack again so that I'm headed into the wake. Clearing the end of the island I start heading across noting that the river current is moving me sideways, upwind at probably 2kn! I now feel the full effects of the wind and fetch. Was that a few whitecaps I just saw to windward. We're flying now. I need to gybe and head downwind. I chicken out and tack and wear away. Everything quiets down as we start to rocket down wind. Here comes a roller. Holy cow! Two hands on the tiller to maintain course as Zephyr starts surfing for the first time. My eyes go wide as the fricken bow wave is peeling off in foamy curls AMIDSHIPS right next to me. Jeesuss we're moving!

OK, now's the time for my first solo reef underway. Thinking it through..... loosen the downhaul, get the reef lines loose and ready. Come up into the wind but not too close so we tack. Lower the main enough for the new tack and clew to meet the boom. My last thought, deal with the luff first. Here goes... I put the tiller over and we spun around. I lowered the main and tied it off. I pulled the luff reef in and tied it off while getting bounced around in the waves. Now we had fallen off and the boom was out over the water so I had to put the tiller over to get us more into the wind. I struggled with the leach reef as I didn't have the cabin to lean on while tying it off. The last step of hauling up the main and tightening the downhaul was easy. Turning back downwind, Zephyr accelerated and the helm was easier. I still had to pay close attention to the tiller though.

The wind lightened up by the time I rounded the upriver end of the island, however now that I was headed into the wind, it was breezier. I tacked up past the marinas and to the ramp but I was reluctant to end such an incredible sail. So, I decided to play. If any of the houses up on the hill were watching they got quite the show. I rocketed across snapping a gybe right next to the transient dock. Then I did a bunch of linked gybes making a circle of calm wake water. I took joy in standing with the tiller between my legs and tacking across the river adjusting the main through the puffs. I darted in to that beach I had nosed up to next to the dock and tacked or gybed my way out. As the sun lowered I enjoyed sailing into and out of the shadows watching the main turn golden in the setting sun.

Not wanting to break the spell, I settled in to my downwind approach to the ramp. I had to broad reach, slowly, between some really tall pilings and the covered docks and then turn directly downwind. Luckily, the shore upwind had blocked most of the wind so right when I turned, the wind fell off to nothing. I chuckled as Zephyr gently nosed up onto the beach next to the ramp.

One of my favorite times, oddly, is the drive home. It's a nice to take your time and reminisce about the trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by knasman on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Hey Keith
Thank you so much for sharing that story with me... I am sure others will enjoy that as much as I did....Your writing made me feel that I was there along side you.....as if I was on that boat with you...I felt my blood pressure surging at times...I am not much of a sailor but I was able to relate to that as if I was there in the boat with you white knuckles and all....That was very exciting for me an sounds like you was excited also. Lets do this again soon.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Well done, Keith!

Those of us that are still working on our boats can sail vicariously through your wonderful posts, and you've really knocked it out of the park for me on this one! I'm with you all the way, thinking about leeway and clean tacks, dodging that nasty anchor on the powerboats bow, and realizing I should've filled the ballast tank before shoving off! Yahoo!! What a blast!

I like the blow-by-blow description of your reefing process. I'm a noob with these balanced lugs, and haven't yet reefed one single-handed. How quickly did the boat fall off, once you left the tiller to go forward and take up the luff reef line? Do you think it would it make sense to try to do the leech first, before the bow has fallen off and the boom is out too far?

Cheers,
Dale
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Great write-up Keith. If that computer zeros and ones stuff doesn't pan out, you'd have a great future as a writer. It sound like you are starting to feel comfortable with Zephyr as your dance partner.

Seriously, the SCAMP is an amazing platform.

As Derek Hutchinson, one of the fathers of modern day sea kayaking used to say, "If you know how to lead, you can make your kayak (SCAMP) dance"

Derek also said of the sport, "The inexperienced become courageous and the experienced learn finesse", a statement that could well be applied to SCAMPing.

Sadly Derek crossed the bar a year ago this month at age 79. I'm privileged that I got to know him.

SCAMP-on!
Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11