Zephyr Cruises

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

miguelito
Major Contributor

Re: Zephyr Cruises

Post by miguelito »

Hi Keith,
A true sailor needs to know how to sew, and you show that in your fine sail bag work! Two questions: will your cover fit when the sail is on the boom at anchor? Is the bag big enough for the mast as well as the spars? Just doing some planning here, and I just finished the crutches for the spars on my trailer. I'm thinking I'd like to leave some slots for the lazy jacks so the sail cover can work at anchor too. See you this summer, of possibly on the Willammette some time.
Mike #170
Steve
Regular Contributor

Post by Steve »

Good point, Dick.

It's also worth noting that I was cruising with a couple of Californians, for whom this all may be normal, though they don't seem normal at all.
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Mike,

This cover is for trailering only. The whole shooting match is ensconced - mast, boom, yard with the sail and rigging all attached. There are other projects on the list. Dodger with windows forward, zip on cockpit tent, maybe a whole cockpit cover for trailering.

I've sqaundered my winter and now sailing season is here. My coin flips tend to land on "go sailing" vs. "work on boat" this time of year. :D

I'm really looking forward to sailing with more SCAMPs this summer!
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

those are good coin flips that land on "play". I'm looking at the tent idea too, but will likely keep it "redic" simple which has worked in the past. Enjoy your fancy sewing machine, and I'll see you on the water.
Mike
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

I took a solo trip last weekend. I put in on the Columbia River at Cathlamet, WA and sailed down into the islands in Lewis & Clark Refuge and anchored off Tronson Island. Then I came back upriver with the flood on Sunday morning.

Full report on my website: http://keith.nasman.us

24nm covered, 4 of which were gently rowing with my new Gig Harbor oars.

SCAMP thoughts:

- I've GOT to get a fitting on the top of the bow for the anchor rode. It's too much trouble to mess with making a bridle cleated off to both forward cleats.
- Hiking stick will be added for easier lounging as much as for the breezier situations.
- Hanging a waterbottle making sun tea was easy and a nice treat.
- Need to try out Dale's hook reefing. I bought the hook but was too busy relaxing to mess with the rig :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by knasman on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Awesome trip, and report, Keith!
knasman wrote:- I've GOT to get a fitting on the top of the bow for the anchor rode. It's too much trouble to mess with making a bridle cleated off to both forward cleats.
That's on my list, too, more hardware tips required! I've seen Howard's photos of his Mirror, using a "closed" oarlock for the rode on the bow, but it sort of stands a bit too proud for my taste. Ditto for that monster eye on Moon-I-Magic's bow, Fred!! Anyone have thoughts on what else we could use? I'm assuming it should capture the rode, so an open chock wouldn't be ideal.

Cheers,
Dale
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Dale,

I'm thinking of casting a custom chock, since "I know a guy" who is good with metal(aka my son). I just need to get off my butt and carve the pattern.

I'm thinking of an open, skene-style chock with the opening angled to port. I'll always secure the rode down the starboard side. With an overlap of the opening I think I'd be a gonner anyway in whatever conditions cause it to jump out.

I'm still open to a closed chock though. Persuade me. :-)

My design goes over the top edge like angle iron and be bolted with two bolts through the front and two down through the deck.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
JohnT
Regular Contributor

Post by JohnT »

It is quite possible to carve a wooden chock to your taste, though fastening any chock to the top deck requires longer arms, a thinner girth, and more flexibility than I possess.
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Ah, good point John, and now we can see why Keith put in those big hatch doors!

I glued in some backing cleats up there (just in case), so I think I might be able to get away without through bolts, just screws:
Imageprep all glue surfaces, ready for deck by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Cheers,
Dale
cdb9554
Regular Contributor

Post by cdb9554 »

Hey guys,

I am currently stuck at "ready to glue down the deck", but outdoor ( backyard ) projects have taken priority. But I did decide to add a closed fairlead for anchoring. I need to do something about mounting it to the curved deck, but I do plan to add some nice stout cleats to fasten to. I also would like to add something to the edge of the deck in front of the fairlead, to reduce chafe, but haven't figured that part yet.

Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig
ANNIE B #124