Zephyr Cruises

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

knasman
Major Contributor

Zephyr Cruises

Post by knasman »

Zephyr was launched shortly after Terry's Skol on August 3rd at the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding's Anniversary BBQ and sail in. It could not have been a more perfect day. Thanks to all who helped and were present.

Sunday morning Dale, Chris, Derek and I set out to sail to Rat Island for a picnic. Four adults, over eight hours sailing in the sun, and we had a great time. There was plenty of room in Zephyr and she was speedy with my camping gear on board too!
Zephyr at Rat Island.jpg
Monday we saw Dale and Chris off to the ferry and checked in on SCAMP Camp #4 then headed back to the school to do some rigging adjustments and provision. At 1600 we headed out of Port Hadlock and had a glorious sail up the bay, me in Zephyr, Derek in Spray, my Oughtred 10ft Acorn. The breeze finally died out with a mile to go crossing the ferry path. We took to the oars and pulled our way the last bit coming to anchor off the Maritime Center right at dusk to the warm welcome of Simeon and Terry.
Zephyr Sailing.jpg
Anchoring at Maritime Center.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
knasman
Major Contributor

Re: Zephyr Cruises

Post by knasman »

Derek and I slept on the beach and lazed around the whole morning talking with the builders and tending to the lines as the tide went out. Derek was waiting for a call to set up an interview so we had to be relatively close to a place where we could get boats back on the trailers. We decided to head over to Kilisut Harbor at 1500 because he reckoned he wouldn't get the call after 1600 and we'd either turn back or continue on.

I hauled anchor and set off under sail. I was pleased as pie at Zephyr's nimbleness as she kept me off of both the dock and that huge, nasty piling you see in that evening shot. Dealing with close quarters, an off shore wind and a sideways current is a bit tricky singlehanding.

We figured an hour to cross to the Kilisut Harbor cut. It turned out to be a wicked downwind sail of about 35 minutes. On the approach we saw another sailboat sail out of the harbor and then sail back in so we knew the tide vs. wind was still in our favor. We rounded Rat Island under the watchful eye of the Navy and then had a whooshing, peaceful downwind run to Mystery Bay. Once in the bay we frolicked amongst the moored boats, taking delight in tacking in an out of them.
Zephyr and Spray down Kilisut Harbor.jpg
We decided we'd anchor right behind the spit at the entrance so that we'd be able to see the wind conditions in the harbor then next morning. We dropped the hook, had dinner and then rowed ashore in Spray to meet Simeon. Simeon shuttled us down to the general store. What a cool place! As John Welsford told me, right out of the 50's. Too bad it was closed for the evening! Well, it makes a good reason to go back.
Mystery Bay.jpg
In the setting sun we sat in Zephyr and enjoyed the changing light. I found _the spot_, which is in my Crazy Creek chair under the veranda. Perfect view and out of the cooling breeze and sun. I set up the boom tent tarp while Derek made a nest for himself in the Acorn. Yes, he slept aboard!
Spray in Morning Fog.jpg
The typical "Fogust" morning showed up and we waited for it to lift before hauling anchor and setting sail up the harbor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
WoodnMetalGuy
Regular Contributor

Post by WoodnMetalGuy »

I enjoyed your trip report Keith! Post more any time.

I'd be interested in the specifics of your boom tent if you have any photos showing that, or can post a description of how you set that up.

Thanks - Dave
-- Dave

Sail #243
CLC Chesapeake 17LT, Chesapeake 14, Sassafras 12
Building blog: http://woodnmetalguy.blogspot.com
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Dave,

My tent solution for that trip was hastily grabbing a 6x8ft nylon tarp and tying it on with paracord. The 8ft length worked well, but the 6ft width isn't wide enough to reach over both coamings. This makes it only good enough for dew as rain would end up on the seats.

I tied the paracord onto the tarp with bowlines and then used rolling hitches to go to the forward and center deck cleats. This made them immediately adjustable. I only looped them over the horns so I could be out in an instant if necessary.

I'm going to upgrade to an 8x10 nylon tarp and then shorten it to 8x8. I think that would make a serviceable temporary. I can use it later as a cover or shore tent or ????

My winter project will be a nice dodger with a zip on boom tent. I've already laid the groundwork for remote steering from the cozy spot under the dodger.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
BobT
Regular Contributor

Post by BobT »

nice cruise. Nice pictures. Coming up for the Festival?

Bob
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

So, you've seen the static pics and you've heard Howard talk about "sneaky speed". Well, here's a video of the Zephyr's wake against the tide after clawing her way out of Kilisut Harbor. I must say she was a-flyin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ImTALPPkx8
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Bob,

I am coming up for the festival with Kerrie. We are sharing a room at the Bishop with Dale and Chris. I doubt I'll bring Zephyr up so we'll have to go out on Peanut :-)
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
WoodnMetalGuy
Regular Contributor

Post by WoodnMetalGuy »

Keith - thanks for the boom tent details. Always interested in these ideas. I think I read somewhere that Howard Rice was going to design a fitted tent but haven't seen anything on that lately. -- Dave
-- Dave

Sail #243
CLC Chesapeake 17LT, Chesapeake 14, Sassafras 12
Building blog: http://woodnmetalguy.blogspot.com
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Great cruise, Keith! Thanks for posting, can't wait for your next one...

Raising my cup, "Here's to many more!!"

Dale
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Dave
The SCAMP tent prototype project was parked for the months of July/August as I lead a Small Craft Academy cruise (in July) and have also been here in PT instructing a SCAMP Camp and conducting a Performance Sailing Academy with my partner John Welsford.

The tent prototype will be finished next month ready for on water testing. Several other SCAMP specific sewn items, (boat covers, sail covers/boom covers, cockpit cushions, a storage bag system, dodger/bimini, etc are in the works). It's nice to have John's input into my designs.

I am passing up the Woodenboat Festival in Port Townsend to finish the tent prototype and to help finish and launch a SCAMP in Michigan, which was built at SCAMP Camp 2.

The owner/builder and I will launch her and then spend two days in a mini skills training specific to him sailing his new boat. He is looking forward to capsize/recovery training, rigging and learning to trim a lug rig, should be great fun. Mike's boat will be the first to splash from SCAMP Camp 2.
WoodnMetalGuy wrote:Keith - thanks for the boom tent details. Always interested in these ideas. I think I read somewhere that Howard Rice was going to design a fitted tent but haven't seen anything on that lately. -- Dave