Zephyr Cruises

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

David E
Regular Contributor

Re: Zephyr Cruises

Post by David E »

Hi Keith,

It looks like you have a painted mast on Zephyr and I was thinking of painting rather than varnishing my mast to hopefully cut down on the maintenance. It seems like you have been sailing Zephyr a lot so it may just be natural, but is there anything you have learned at this point, other than moving the leather to the yard, that you think will reduce wear to the mast finish?

David Estep
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

David,

The leather move would help a lot. I didn't have my leather's on at launch so some wear happened there. Also, making sure that however you trailer your rig, it is padded. This winter I'll be sewing up a bag for the whole rig, keeping it protected while on the move and being stored.

Oh, also while you are painting it, don't let it fall, bounce on the workbench and then crash to the floor. :shock:

I'm so glad I didn't build a museum piece. On launching day Zephyr was hit by my OTHER boat. The perpetrator will remain nameless - but you know who you are! :-) I've high sided on a stump, run up on beaches, and last time I was out I miscalculated my way a bit and nudged a wooden dock and ground along it for a bit. So, she needs a whole paint job to be show worthy, but I'd rather sail instead.

Except for the dull scrape from that stump I am very impressed with the UHMW runners I put on my skegs. I'm also surprised at how little the forward part of the bottom is scraped since I've been up on a beach everywhere I've gone (mostly intentional I might add).
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
David E
Regular Contributor

Post by David E »

Keith,

Zephyr sounds pretty sturdy given everything she's gone through. I will follow your advice and keep the rig is padded when trailering the boat. Thanks for commenting on the UHMW runners. It is good to hear they work so well.

David
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Hello Spring! Zephyr didn't get as much attention over the winter as I hoped. Luckily for me she is a patient gal. Zephyr and I will be making our first international trip next weekend, up to Vancouver, BC for the much anticipated launch of Dale's Luna, her sister in sail number and spirit.

With a deadline approaching I finally got in gear and improved Zephyr's road-worthiness by sewing up a spar cover. I have two boom crutches on Zephyr, one in the mast box and a two-vertical-and-a-crosspiece in the transom skirt. Up till now I had just been securing the sail and spars by wrapping with light line. There's a few downsides to this. One, the sail is out in the sun. Sun (UV) is bad for sails and I like to make the most of it by only having the sail out in it when I'm enjoying the benefit. Two, the sail is out in the "hurricane" of driving on the freeway. Last time I was out I had a loose part at the foreward end of the sail and I did notice it but thought, "I'm just going over the bridge to home". At 40mph on the bridge I nearly lost the sail right off the boat. Partially reefed in that breeze - poor seamanship there my friends! I am pretty good at learning from my mistakes so never again <--- that's the good seamanship part.

So, I finally fired up that Sail-Rite sewing machine I bought last year and had my first lesson in sewing. Talk about jumping in the deep end. Manhandling 17ft of Sunbrella and a 10ft zipper. We boatbuilders aren't afraid of big projects are we? Attached are a few pics of the results.

Zephyr also finally got her name on her transom! I had been dallying around about doing this because I flubbed the paint job on the transom and had thoughts of repainting it before putting the name on. Now people won't just be talking about the cute blue sailboat they once saw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

I also got out the sail palm and leathered those crutches to pamper the spars.

Yup, Zephyr is traveling in style now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

Hot Damn! Zephyr is looking good!

Sorry about crashing into to you on your launch.....SV Acorn was a bit jealous of all the attention Zephyr was getting...

ummm Dale; I promise I wont slam into Luna...

-Derek

Liberty 53
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Derek,

I'm sure I couldn't even find the scratch now. The launch wouldn't have been the same without you and the Acorn!

I think the forum is due for an update from SV Liberty :-)

Are you ready to sail this weekend??!?!?!?
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Man, it's getting harder and harder to catch up to you, Keith. I thought I was doing so well… and you keep upping the anti… (nice work!!)

5 days 'til launch, last coat of varnish (this year) applied at noon, madly mounting hardware... can't wait to see you guys, and Zephyr. Just don't let Derek drive! :)
Steve
Regular Contributor

Post by Steve »

Well.....
Scamp #6 has had an easy life, right up until last month. Before that, she had a good bit of water under her skegs, and miles of highway, all with little effect.

Then came April.

.....sailing on to a concrete ramp....

.....psoriasis of the topsides from a mean dock in a mean storm....

.....a flooding rainstorm in 30 knots, also at the mean dock, at night,
overwhelming the boom tent, raising the possibility of drowning in the
cockpit.

.... a centerboard which went its own way, presumably to the bottom of St.
George Sound, with strong winds astern and breaking waves.

.... a broken trailer bunk.

.... and finally, a toothache, which turns out to be the most expensive repair.

No worries, though. It was an adventure, for sure, and #6 will soon be ready to sail again.
Dick Herman
Regular Contributor

Re: An exciting April

Post by Dick Herman »

Steve,
I don't understand. Other than the toothache, it sounds like normal cruising to me. After all, what is life as a Scamper without some misadventure along the way? Did you hit a derelict U-Boat and sink? No. Were you strafed by F-22s out of Eglin? No. Were you plied with excessive gin and tonics? I hope so. Stiff upper lip, olde chap, soldier on for Scampdom, wave the flag proudly.