Scamp Hatch Kits

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

Re: Scamp Hatch Kits

Post by Editors »

Forgot to mention also that the hatch kits were designed around the large hatches installing on bulkhead 3 and the a pair of small hatches in both cockpit seats. They are sized perfectly for this purpose. However some builders are planning on single hatches in seats, additional hatches in cockpit sole, etc. —Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
boatsbabies
Regular Contributor

Post by boatsbabies »

Sorry to be picky, but what are the dimensions of the coamings for the hatches - i.e. how much space is required under/behind the hatch for installation in the seat or bulkhead, please? I'm guessing that it's more than the "Lid dimension". Thanks in advance.
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Stand by on that. Still doing some minor tweaking to maximize opening size. Will have final measurements shortly. A new batch was just cut, so we can ship a few orders this week.

Best,
Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
miguelito
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp Hatch in water balast tank

Post by miguelito »

I've just installed my first "Brown" hatches. I'm well impressed with the design and quality or these flush hatches, and I'm considering putting one of the smaller ones in my balast tank. This would allow for the usual access to the "drain" but would also facilitate inspection and rinsing and drying of the tank. [It might even allow for keeping a beer cool in our 45 degree waters]. Does anyone have a pro or con argument for putting one of these larger hatches there? I'll pose the question to Mr Brown as well through other channels before I get too busy with the saber saw, but thanks for your thoughts.
Mike Moore #170
awhitecat
Regular Contributor

Post by awhitecat »

Does anybody have photographs of the "Brown" Hatches installed?

Regards, Mike.
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

Mike,
If you haven't looked at the extensive work on "build #70" by bcbimmer you should. The very end of the thread so far has excellent information about the Brown hatches and their installation. Instructions with the hatches are also very complete, and the finished pictures of the hatches are earlier in this thread by the editors. Good luck. They're a fine addition to a fine boat.
Mike
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

I note the sizes of the "coamings" (I'm calling them "backing plates") are not in this thread yet. Dan (bcbimmer) posted the sizes in his excellent build thread, but, I thought I'd add them here for ease of access:

Large hatch
Opening size: 9 1/4” x 15 1/2”
Lid (9mm ply) size: 10 3/4” x 17”
Backing plate (12mm ply): 13 3/4" by 20"

Small hatch
Opening size: 7 3/4” x 11 1/2”
Lid (9mm ply) size: 9 1/4” x 13”
Backing plate (12mm ply) size: 11 3/4" by 15 1/2"

Cheers,
Dale
CMillsAtSCAMP
New Contributor

Post by CMillsAtSCAMP »

Any thoughts on putting the hatches on the sides of the seats? Maybe not as easy access but you don' t sit on them and they don't see direct water during a capsize.
Anders Bjorklund
Regular Contributor

Post by Anders Bjorklund »

CMillsAtSCAMP wrote:Any thoughts on putting the hatches on the sides of the seats? Maybe not as easy access but you don' t sit on them and they don't see direct water during a capsize.
I've just been wondering the same thing myself. Since they wouldn't be submerged during capsizes, they might not need to be as watertight to be safe. It's true though, I think, that storage access wouldn't be as convenient. Especially if the footwell is covered to make a large sleeping surface.

Is there enough seat height to have good sized hatch openings?

Anders
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Anders,

I have 6" round vertical hatches on the front of bulkhead 4 and 5" ones on the seat uprights between bulkheads 6 & 7 and 7 & 8. My seat rail is quite wide so you could probably get 6" ones there as well. They are not very big openings. I wanted access to my bailer pump and bolts for the motor mount and centreboard pin without having more hatches on the seat tops. You could probably increase the access if you put in rectangular hatches with more room front to back. Don't think the small hatch kit would fit there.

Cheers,

Dan