Scamp Hatch Kits

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Anders Bjorklund
Regular Contributor

Re: Scamp Hatch Kits

Post by Anders Bjorklund »

Good information, Dan. Thanks. Seat top hatches between bulkheads 5 & 6 might just be too handy to give up. Those are good locations for the hatch kits, since they sit flush are stay sealed well.
Anders
cdb9554
Regular Contributor

Post by cdb9554 »

I started installing these hatches in bulkhead 3 recently, and since I am going to install more of the large size, I decided to make a router jig - I then cut the two holes in BH3 with it and a top bearing router bit.

When I was sanding and filing the jig to get it just the right size, etc, I was thinking - it would be great if the same NC machine that cut the hatch lid, could be made to cut a router jig as well. It would save a fair amount of time, and would probably be more accurate than I can do by hand.

What do you think - could this be made available as a hatch kit accessory?

Craig Bryant
Craig
ANNIE B #124
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

Hi Craig,
I did the same thing with both sizes, and it came out quite well, and I think it's a great idea if Turn Point could provide them. In retrospect, I would pay $50 for the set and still come out ahead on time saved. Good suggestion!
Mike Moore #170, which now has a deck!
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

I am looking at the hatch options for bulkhead 3, and I've decided I would really like hatches large enough to crawl into, in case I need to make a repair or add a backing block or whatever up in the bow.

A quick mockup shows me that I can fit through an oval opening 12" x 18", so I may cobble up a pair of hatches that size if nobody comes out with them first.

Rob Hazard #197 Just getting started.
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Rob,

When building Zephyr, I custom build the hatches in B3 for the same reason as you. I basically went three inches or so out from the mast box opening and then determined the height I wanted. I decided to mimic the angle of the cabin sides. This resulted in a hatch that is wider at the bottom than at the top. That extra bit of widening made them big enough for me to fit through to reach the stem. I created trim router templates out of cheap 3/8 in ply for cutting the hole and cutting the opening in the coaming.

I am in the process of installing hinges on the outboard sides and there is enough friction to hold them open while I'm accessing the locker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161