SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

Nine? If Howard's #2 has launched, 10? That's my guess.
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Plus one fiberglass.. 11 Splashed SCAMPs to date? Anyone with a more informed number? Jackie Monies? I bet she has an accurate count.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Noddy, SCAMP #11, launched on the Sunday of the Wooden Boat Festival, September 8.
We snuck out and got a delightful 2 hour evening sail on Port Townsend Bay, until the fog drove us in.

The following day, the second sea-trial produced 14 miles of motoring without rig under electric power, anchoring and drifting back to shore to achieve a beaching and hike on the Wolfe Properties State Park at Hood Head. Here's a few shots of me and my brother-in-law Denny, on day 2.

Early tests of the venturi self-bailer (Andersen Super-Mini) are disappointing.
At this stage, I'd suggest not wasting the money, but I'll keep you informed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Simeon.
You wrote:

"Early tests of the venturi self-bailer (Andersen Super-Mini) are disappointing.
At this stage, I'd suggest not wasting the money, but I'll keep you informed."

Can you let us know what happened or didn't happen with the bailer?

As I read your post I see you have installed the "super mini" and am curious why the smallest as it seems small for the SCAMP application.

I did note when looking at Noddy that you had installed the bailer on the starboard side of the boat (same side as the centerboard). This is likely why you may be having an issue. It is likely the turbulent flow aft the centerboard that is causing the bailer to off and on lose suction.

I have installed two large size Elvstrom venturi bailers mid cockpit in my SCAMP #2 (neither behind the centerboard). I have eliminated the aft cockpit sumps altogether.

Many sailors worldwide successfully use venturi bailers. In May I was with Meade Gougeon during the CK Small Boat Meet and noted he is using three Elvstrom mini venturi bailers in his state of the art sailing canoe Woodwind (they are mounted mid cockpit and not aft of his leeboard).

As you know the venturi bailer requires movement to work. The only drawback is that if they are not maintained in clean order (meaning flushed out occasionally to keep sand out of the chute) they will leak just a little through the chute. I chalk this up to a niggling minor issue versus the good they do for me when I am sailing.
Last edited by pocketyacht on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

The plan is for #2 splash next month.
I know of two others that are about to launch from the October Great Lakes SCAMP Camp build.
Friends with SCAMPS wrote:Nine? If Howard's #2 has launched, 10? That's my guess.
David E
Regular Contributor

Post by David E »

Hi Howard,

I have been looking at the various Elvstrom bailers and was wondering if you used the Elv 24-Smax (internally mounted) or the Elv 11-NLG (externally mounted)?

David
pocketyacht wrote:Hi Simeon.
You wrote:

"Early tests of the venturi self-bailer (Andersen Super-Mini) are disappointing.

As I read your post I see you have installed the "super mini" and am curious why the smallest as it seems small for the SCAMP application.

I did note when looking at Noddy that you had installed the bailer on the starboard side of the boat (same side as the centerboard). This is likely why you may be having an issue. It is likely the turbulent flow aft the centerboard that is causing the bailer to off and on lose suction.

I have installed two large size Elvstrom venturi bailers mid cockpit in my SCAMP #2 (neither behind the centerboard). I have eliminated the aft cockpit sumps altogether.

Many sailors worldwide successfully use venturi bailers. In May I was with Meade Gougeon during the CK Small Boat Meet and noted he is using three Elvstrom mini venturi bailers in his state of the art sailing canoe Woodwind (they are mounted mid cockpit and not aft of his leeboard).

As you know the venturi bailer requires movement to work. The only drawback is that if they are not maintained in clean order (meaning flushed out occasionally to keep sand out of the chute) they will leak just a little through the chute. I chalk this up to a niggling minor issue versus the good they do for me when I am sailing.
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

I'm going to do the count here.. Add or correct, please. Skol, Zephyr, Noddy, Red SCAMP, B.Frank, Peanut, & Klompen are the names I know. Plus the light blue one that is solar electric, the birds wing mast (is that one oversized?), the one in the Philippines, and the second one Mike Monies built after the EC he sailed the Red SCAMP in with Andrew, and I believe someone else has another Red one. That's 12. Is there a second fiberglass SCAMP splashed? That would be lucky 13!
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi David
I am using the internally mounted model. Either model will work. They perform the same.
David E wrote:Hi Howard,

I have been looking at the various Elvstrom bailers and was wondering if you used the Elv 24-Smax (internally mounted) or the Elv 11-NLG (externally mounted)?

David
pocketyacht wrote:Hi Simeon.
You wrote:

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

As a note. Simeon's boat is beautifully finished. He has done a fine job in constructing Noddy. I hope he posts more photos.
Few folks know all our friend Simeon has done and is doing to develop the SCAMP concept and the class.
Thanks as always Simeon. Now get out there and sail the paint off her bottom!

quote="Friends with SCAMPS"]I'm going to do the count here.. Add or correct, please. Skol, Zephyr, Noddy, Red SCAMP, B.Frank, Peanut, & Klompen are the names I know. Plus the light blue one that is solar electric, the birds wing mast (is that one oversized?), the one in the Philippines, and the second one Mike Monies built after the EC he sailed the Red SCAMP in with Andrew, and I believe someone else has another Red one. That's 12. Is there a second fiberglass SCAMP splashed? That would be lucky 13![/quote]
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

There are actually closer to 20 SCAMPs on the water now. As soon as we get this issue to press I'll go in and update the registry and try to change the icons of those sailing to the little boat graphic.—Eds
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.