SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Derek
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by Derek »

Liberty 53 has sailed her bottom paint off (porch paint wasn't a good choice) So she's upside down about to get some love.

Here's a picture Dale took of some river surfing.

-Derek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Nice shot, bro. Who took it?
That’s some serious sailing.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

Dale snapped the shot as I was passing him, a RARE thing indeed! the skills to this epic surfing were learned during my downwind Standup Paddle Board sessions on the ripping Columbia River Gorge.

Pick the roller you're going to surf, place yourself BEHIND the the first or second wave of the set. Instead of looking behind, the secret is to look forward and focus more on following the leading wave. Once your trimmed correctly you'll feel like you being PULLED along, not pushed from behind.

There is constant adjustment of trim, "A bit back-no forward-too far- back a bit- forward, DAMN am I still on this glide!? no I'm losing it, it's gone" and you'll settle back down and watch the rollers cruise on.

Dale and Keith are both speed demons, but I feel pretty fast surfing while standing in Liberty's footwell. She feels like a massive Standup Paddle board sometimes. Crazy to think that my paddleboard is two feet longer than Liberty!

-Derek
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Such a blast!!! Derek, Keith, and I have cooked up a scheme to surf the Columbia Gorge this May: Cascade Locks to Rowena, beaching along the way. Three days, and a pig roast for good measure, Keith and I scrambling to catch our downwind maestro before he eats it all!!

Ten years since Scamp Camp #1… Oh, the places we’ve been, the things we’ve seen! Dreams come true, thanks to all of you.
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

The Gorge is going to be a blast. Last time Zephyr was there we put in at Hood River and took out at The Dalles. Triple reefed and surfing for two days straight!
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
Winter_Hawk
New Contributor

Post by Winter_Hawk »

I lived in Hood River in 1981/2. It was just a sleepy town then; I had a Folbot Super with sail rig, and i was the only one out on the river, ever! I read later that the wind surfers had discovered it. I haven't been back since, it would be fun to revisit the town. My all-time favorite place was the library. My son and I would bicycle there in the evenings; what a wonderful old building!

Thanks for bringing up some great memories!

~Kees~