SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

knasman
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by knasman »

It was good to see you brother! I can't wait for sailing season and to get Derek's Liberty 53 launched.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Viewing Liberty reminded me of how many filets go into these boats! I'm not a big fan of filleting, it's a tough job that goes on forever… I found all other tasks of the build very pleasurable, but that job is a b**tch!

It's too bad some of us are so far away from other scampers, we'll have to start a commune or something!
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Dale,

I'm with you on the fillets. Basically done with my construction other than the mast so the main task is to smooth out those miles of interior fillets prior to painting. Wonder why I am lacking enthusiasm for that task. Seems to me the only time I saw fillets being worked on in your build it was your good wife doing the dirty work. With all that experience, perhaps she would like to come over an spend a week in my unheated garage to show me how it is done. Suggested to my better half that she might enjoy a little sanding as other spouses had made similar contributions. Strangely she never said anything, just gave me a look that I have learned over the years means a no win situation. Worth a try.

Cheers,

Dan
WoodnMetalGuy
Regular Contributor

Post by WoodnMetalGuy »

I found the filleting to be a little tedious sometimes, but very rewarding. I liked the finished look of it. What I would have found unbearable, though, is all the taping off of the joints that you did, Dan! I instead cleaned up the excess along the edges after application with sharpened sticks and that worked great for me.

For sanding fillets I mostly used a 1/4" dowel in a piece of 80-grit hook and loop sandpaper that had progressed to being dull enough to replace on my random-orbit sander. I found they sand pretty easily if done about a day after applying them, when they are maybe not quite fully hardened.
-- Dave

Sail #243
CLC Chesapeake 17LT, Chesapeake 14, Sassafras 12
Building blog: http://woodnmetalguy.blogspot.com
willpower
Regular Contributor

Post by willpower »

I'm having good luck with fillets (this should have it's own thread) by waiting for about 2 hours or so (depending on speed of hardener and temperature) and running my finger dipped in alcohol over the fillet. I can get a glassy surface and am able to smooth out lumps and bumps pretty well. The only reason I've found to sand a fillet is to provide a bit of texture for the next coat of epoxy. Not perfection, but pretty fair. As I work, I'm sometimes reminded of a comment a customer made to me regarding drywall texture--"I want it to look like it was done by a human being." I think that's how my boat is going to look. --Will
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

I am with Will ,a rubber glove dipped in alcohol and run over the joint after a few hours, before the fillet has hardened all the way. Any of the fillets done this way do not have to be sanded and are nice and smooth. I taped a lot of my fillets and the time spent taping was made up in clean up time. I have done it both ways. I would pull the tape and then run the finger with alcohol. I found that finger was the best way especially in the three way corner.

The only ones I sanded were when I put down fiber glass tape on the gar boards and planking.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Fillets, I am sitting here thinking for two days: I do not believe Mike ever sanded a fillet in all the boats he built, if he did I do not recall them. His work on that was just like the way he filled woodwork trim in house, just so smooth and often not noticeable.. I seem to remember them being laid down like cake icing and smoothed with a finger. Since sanding was one of his least favorite activities, he tried to work with no cleanups, drips, runs or rough spots!

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

https://youtu.be/kcYrubmKHy8

Here is a quick video of Liberty 53 sailing down wind near Mosier Ore.

We were flying! surfing waves ranging from 2-4 feet.

-Derek
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Nice! I know you were having too much fun and hanging on to shoot a longer video. Keep 'em coming!

Good to see you on the water now. Stay safe!

Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hey, how about a round-up on Scamp Camp #1? Can't believe we haven't done this!

The first Scamp Camp was at the Northwest Maritime Centre, Port Townsend, in August 2012. Simeon (#11 NODDY) and Keith (#161 ZEPHYR) and Bob (#158 PEANUT) launched their boats the next summer 2013. I launched mine (#162 LUNA) May 2014, and Derek (#169 LIBERTY 53) launched in the summer of 2015. And Howard’s #2 SOUTHERN CROSS hit the water Aug 2016, of course!

Who else has launched? Mike, where’s your #105 at? Bryant, did you ever start one? Karl, you must have a boat in the water? Lloyd, still in progress at the Maritime Centre? Cliff, any news from Germany? Ethan?, Chuck?, Richard?

Roll call!

(here's a shot from the first time the three pirate ships cruised together, Cortez Island BC, 2015):
Imageanchored in the shallows of Carrington Bay, Cortez Island by Dale Simonson, on Flickr