SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

SCAMP Camp #1

Post by pocketyacht »

Bob, Ethan, Cliff, Keith, Dale, Eric, Derek, Lloyd, Simeon, Richard, Carl, Mike, Bryant, Chuck, (and fellow instructors John, Scott, Jason) aka SCAMP Camp #1.

I have started this thread as a way for all of us involved in build number 1 to stay in touch in order to share ideas, questions, progress reports, etc. The knowledge base we have developed through building ten boats at once may be of aid to fellow SCAMP builders and all are welcome to join in this discussion (in fact I hope others do join in). In the process of building ten boats (to a high degree of completion) in ten days we learned much.

I found the build to be an excellent demonstration of what a group of intelligent, kind, thoughtful, extremely good humored and motivated people can do to both aid one another during key building steps while at the same time moving individual builds forward. Well Done!

I will be instructing SCAMP Camp build number 2 this October in Michigan. It should be a good one based on all we learned together in build #1. My SCAMP #3 will be built in October. Needless to say I will miss working alongside Scott, Jason and John. Richard will be in the Michigan build.

On behalf of John Welsford and myself a big thanks to our fellow instructors Scott and Jason, two superbly skilled builders with whom we both shared and learned much, you guys are good!

A big Thank you to the volunteers who lent a hand, the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding (the program organizers) and the Northwest Maritime Center (the venue).

The build was one of the highlights of my life in small boats. The SCAMP community of friends is well on its way. Join us here to share ideas.

Best,
howard
BobT
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by BobT »

Hello to SCAMP Campers,

My boat, to be named "Peanut," after previous small Westerly Nomad, is sitting patiently in my driveway. Covered by the ubiquitous blue tarp, she is awaiting work after the wooden boat festival. I am happy that Scott Jones has agreed to help me finish her.
I usually don't much like group building classes, but this one was great. Not only did I meet lots of interesting folk, I got a boat!
knasman
Major Contributor

Re: Masts

Post by knasman »

I'd like to find out who of the builders close enough to Port Townsend would be interested in a weekend building masts. I think the glue up is intimidating and would sure love the support and precision machining of the equipment at the maritime center. Scott mentioned the idea and if there is enough interest, we could get it to fly.

Would would be interested?

Scott, if I'm overstepping, just chime in.

Keith
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Keith.
Birds mouth mast building is what I think you are talking about, right?
I will meet with Scott this morning and talk to him about it. Pete has talked about this happening in October. We talked about video taping it for others.
I will post what I learn here.
godocgo
Regular Contributor

Post by godocgo »

I was able to drop in scamp camp for a day, meet John, look at boats in progress, show-off baby pix, inspect rigging on scamp #1, sail with Howard and chat with several builders. Seems to have been an amazing event.

Phil
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Re: Masts

Post by dsimonson »

Hello Scampers,

Great times in Port Townsend, ditto all the kudos in Howard's list, I don't think I have ever worked so hard (physically) or partied so hard (ecstatically) in the company of such a caring, supportive and talented group. Thank you, comrades!!!

My little scampling crossed the border with little hassle (and a few hundred shekels in taxes), we arrived safely home in Vancouver 11pm Sunday. She's buttoned up in my townhouse single-car garage, forlorn, wondering if she'll ever receive the love again.
knasman wrote:I'd like to find out who of the builders close enough to Port Townsend would be interested in a weekend building masts.
Very interested in a birdsmouth mast (and spars) build, count me in! I must feed her!

I threw my photos of the event up on Flickr, very rough, no editing, no descriptions, more than 300 "baby pix" (hi Phil !), enough to bore the most diehard: http://tinyurl.com/Dales-scampcamp

all the best,
Dale
BobT
Regular Contributor

Post by BobT »

I would definitely be interested in the mast building class. I don't care where it is done: Port Hadlock or PT. The only time I can't do it is 10/11-16.
Great idea!
Lloyd
New Contributor

Post by Lloyd »

Scamp Campers,

John suggested glassing the stern/plank joins from the floor to the top of the top plank. He said that there are significant stresses and that the 3 inch tape over the fillet works well. It goes on best as three separate pieces per side just like the 3 inch fiberglass on the floor/first plank seam.

Lloyd
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

The deck is now installed and just tonight I finished placing the cockpit seat cleats. Woohoo!

I'm all set up to fiberglass the bottom this weekend. Yay for long weekends! :-)

Keith
Zephyr #161
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Way to go Keith! Zephyr is looking great. I''ll post some photos soon.

Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11