SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Paul Breeding
Regular Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by Paul Breeding »

Whoever is doing the SCAMP count please don't forget the three in Colorado: Johnny Walker's SCAMP # 24 (ketch rigged), John McNeely's Red SCAMP (the other SCAMP mostly built by Mike Monies) and mine #82 "Forever Young". I suspect that Josh's estimate of 20 splashed is pretty close. I find it a sense of pride and privilege that approximately 15% of the completed SCAMPS are in Colorado, hardly the sailing mecca of the world.

Paul Breeding
Broomfield CO
SCAMP, Peep Hen & more
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Simeon
I was reviewing a few photos of Noddy and noted that your bailer is not mounted on the starboard side as I had thought. Instead it looks to be on the port side. Now I am curious as to what didn't happen with your bailer. Curious if it was sluggish or didn't drain at all?
Hope it is working better in any case
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Howard -

Noddy's bailer is indeed on the port side, up against the skeg. By my reckoning, the functional placement should be fairly good.

I'm not sure the next larger size bailer would have fitted in the sump as the skeg is located very near the centerline of the sump. In the first photo, the through-transom drain plug is shown and it is mounted on the centerline of the skeg.

Anyway, I haven't had proper speed readings but I did dump 3 gallons of water back there and was sailing on starboard tack on a beam reach at what I judged to be around 3 plus knots.

After opening the bailer, no apparent effective suction was observed over a minute or two and there was some slight back-wash into the sump. Again, I had no accurate speed readings and no time to further investigate. I then gibed and closed the bailer and pumped the sump dry using the Whale Gusher pump which worked as advertised.

I've used similar venturi bailers with higher performance craft and they work well.
I haven't had Noddy out since then but I'll update the message board with more data as I complete additional sea trials.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

Hi Simeon,
Noddy's looking great! I wonder if your bailer is countersunk up into the bottom? The photo looks like the bailer might not be flush with the hull surface, and I wonder if that would affect suction?

I'm trail fitting a pair of "Super Suckers" and I'm hoping that they work at slow speeds. One thing I do know from inspecting them is that they will leak. At rest with the bailer down, does enough water come in to flood the floor of Noddy, or does it stay below floor level in the sump? I'm trying to decide how many sponges to buy. . . .
Thanks for all your research and reporting!
Mike Moore #170 Tor
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Simeon
The venturi bailers I have installed (and maintained) in a number of boats are all flush mounted with the bottom of the boat. I believe this may be a factor in your case. In addition the amount of rocker SCAMP has may be another contributor (angle of the bailer chute through the water).
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Mike -

At rest, with the boat in trim and the bailer down (open), water will come in but only rise in the sump area to a level just below the cockpit sole gutter. The dwl cuts just at or below the bottom edge of the transom so that makes sense.

Howard -
I installed the "inside mount" bailer with the thinnest of the two supplied gaskets. If after further testing I'm not happy with the performance, I'll relieve the mounting area slightly to get the bailer flush. Also, as you point out, the rocker angle may be a contributing factor.

Time will tell... ;)
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Noddy is patiently waiting for wind. This "storm" forecast for our area is a bust so far. Drizzle and no wind just isn't what we want.

Testing of the venturi bailer will have to wait :(

Here's a shot from Mats Mats Bay yesterday.

Simeon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

OMG! only fifteen days 'til launch, and so much to do!!

Imagemasking tape off! by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Luna wants to get wet...
cdb9554
Regular Contributor

Post by cdb9554 »

Hey Dale,

Luna is looking really great! You are doing, as usual, a great job. I like your color scheme-still haven't decided for sure for Annie B, but I am leaning towards white over red as well. What paints are you using?

Craig
Craig
ANNIE B #124
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Looks really good with the red bottom!

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp (for Mike)