SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

dsimonson
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by dsimonson »

Thanks, Jackie, and Craig!!

Craig, I used Petite Easypoxy for the hull and cabin sides, which I really liked working with. I used the roll and tip method, and found it flowed beautifully once I'd figured it out :)

For the top, decks and cockpit, I wanted slightly different colour than what's available in marine paints, and didn't feel comfortable mixing my own. At the price we have to pay for the stuff, I want it to come in the right colour!

So, I went to my favourite house-paint supplier with colour reference in hand, and had 2 quarts of Benjamin Moore High-Gloss Alkyd Enamel mixed. However, I found the paint to be a bit thicker than I like, making it more difficult to keep the "edge wet" and flowing. So, I added a splash of "Penetrol" to thin it and get the flow going, and it seems to have worked quite well.

Sure glad it's only a 12 foot boat, I can't imagine how long it would take me to build a 20 footer. And then paint it.

Cheers,
Dale

Imagedecks and combings done! by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

Mi Hearites

Sailing Vessel Liberty 53, Calling all Scampers. Photo Gallery of the build to follow.

After glueing in Sole, Seat-tops, and Lazarette. It became clear that many hours would go into sanding and shaping. The sunny weather, and my recent Scamping on Zephyr and Luna has inginited my elbow greese.

Who cares about a hot finger, this scamp needs to get wet! (I'm thinking a May 2015 launch).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Derek on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

More pictures, Sorry they're so small.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

Lazerette, with a sunken footwell.

I'm imagining many nights on anchor; under the tent with my Lady,,,, or playing cards with the pirates. Those scurvy dogs!

-Derek
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Derek It is looking really good but do you know how hard is is to tip your monitor over. The hardest part is holding on to your monitor with one hand while using your mouse with the other. I use to be able to stand on my head but that was fifty some years ago. I had a expression on my face just like your kitty. :P

All kidding aside It looks like it won't be long before a splash. I am getting anxious to splash mine too.
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

Derek
Liberty 53 looks wonderful. I like some of the faring around the cuddy. The foot well is very interesting I noticed while working on the seats that it was more comfortable without the sole. The big question is how does that affect recovery from a capsize drill. I am eagerly looking forward to your reports. A high capacity pump would be high on my list. My guess is that even with the foot well Liberty is more recoverable than a standard dingy. As for viewing rotated photos I just hold the monitor however it needs to be and call my wife to drive the mouse.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Glad to see that it's not only me considering a foot well, and for the same reason, comfort. For those times when conditions make for challenging sailing I've been thinking of having a drop-in unit that could double as a fuel tank or additional water tank to fill the void.

Cheers,
Charlie
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Derek, Liberty 53 is looking beautiful! You're cooking!

I really like the "lazarette and footwell" idea, too. Too bad I'd already glued my sole in before you (and Howard) let us in on your mod. Damn!! Can't wait to try it out, the Liberty-Lounge!

Roger, I imagine the lost volume of buoyancy in the footwell is (approximately?) compensated by the addition of that lazarette. Which also provides a comfortable-looking seat back! (Although still on the centreline, the buoyancy is a bit higher, so it'll be interesting to see how it affects how she lies on her side. I too, await Derek's dumping tests!)

Derek, how did you reinforce the hull in the footwell? just glue in a 9mm doubler?

Cheers,
Dale
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

You got it Dale. I glued in a 9mm doubler, with about $80 worth of thickened epoxy. She is rock solid.

Liberty lounge-- I love it!

You know I do plan on adding two Dale-Rails

-Derek

Liberty 53
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hello Scampers! Here's a quick update on our sister-ship Liberty 53:

Chris and I made a short sortee into Oregon last weekend, to check in with the pirate crew and get a shifty on Liberty. I haven't seen her since she was piped out of the Northwest Maritime Centre in August 2012, our last day of Scamp Camp!

We drove down the I5 to Portland through a "pineapple express" with the wipers barely keeping up, to stay with Keith and Kerry for the weekend. We found Zephyr in their driveway, safe under a tarp, but looking cold and forlorn. On Sunday, we headed over to Hood River and had a great, but much too short, visit with Derek and Lacy. We nailed a few "vitamin R's*" and had a quick tour of the boat shop:

ImageLiberty 53 gets a good looking over by the pirate crew by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Imagepirates in the boatshop!! by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageDerek shows Chris the cockpit footwell and lazerette by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageChris tries out the captain's pew by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageLiberty's lazarette and footwell by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

ImageLiberty's cabin sides will be finished bright by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

I love the mods you guys are all doing... I might have to take a saws-all to Luna, and carve a footwell and lazarette into her! Can't wait to be aboard Liberty this summer, and kick back in that comfy cockpit.

Thanks, pirates, for your kind hospitality!!
Cheers,
Dale

* Rainier beers. (Now for a totally inappropriate canadian joke-- Q: why is american beer like making love in a canoe? ….) Of course that's pretty silly after a weekend of amazing Portland micro beers, but hey! let's not let reality get in the way of a good cooler of vitamin R!