SCAMP Camp #1

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

knasman
Major Contributor

Re: SCAMP Camp #1

Post by knasman »

Mike,

I'd love to do that cruise through Portland with you. There are three main ramps that I can think of.

Under the St. John's bridge quite a way downstream.
On Swan island about halfway between the St. John's bridge and downtown.
At Willamette Park, upstream of downdown across from the head of Ross Island.

Willamette Park is near my house so I frequent that one. I have yet to put Zephyr into Oregon waters though. I will sometime this week while my sister and her kids are visiting.

Then you can be guide and show me around the Olympia waters sometime :-) I'm already wanting to get back in that salt water!
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
Derek
Regular Contributor

Post by Derek »

Mike and Keith,

You two should start up stream, the wind is fickle through down town. You can count on the current however. I've sailed my Catalina and Clipper Marine all over the willamette, down is easier then up.

Putting in at Willamette Park would be nice.

-Derek

Liberty 53
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Noddy is almost ready for the Wooden Boat Festival on Friday; a trailer display on the Commons outside the NWMC Boat Shop where she has lived for the last year.

As soon as the paint hardens up a bit, on goes the hardware! Spars are all done, and waiting for the varnish to harden up on the yard & boom before rigging the sail.

Varnished Sapele thwart rails and rubrails yet to be installed. Lots of gluing, screwing, and plugging in my near future!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by simeoniii on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
BobT
Regular Contributor

Post by BobT »

Looking great. See you and Noddy at the festival!

Bob
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Wowee!! Can't wait to see her at the festival, Simeon! Bob, is Peanut going to be on display, too?

Cheers,
Dale
BobT
Regular Contributor

Post by BobT »

I'll look for you, Dale. No, Peanut is sitting in the marina at Boat Haven. I decided not to pull her out, clean her up, and haul her down the street. By my count there will be six SCAMPs at the festival. I may sail her up one day. She has leaky hatches and a centerboard that doesn't go all the way down. Refit time already.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Bob

As you know I sailed Peanut with a number of Academy sailors, mainly in the confines of Point Hudson harbor in gusty conditions. On setting out from Boat Haven to deliver her to the Academy Phil and I noticed rig issues recognizing she had just been launched and needed refining. We had no time to make any changes and the boat was sailed all day as is.

She pointed up wind in the tight harbor during gybe/tack/docking exercises. Courses were so short that the helmsman had to get ready for the next tack as soon as the boat turned in some cases. Little time to think about tacking angles.

Later John Sutherland noticed that Peanut's centerboard lanyard had substantial slack in it as we sailed off of Rat Island. I noticed the same. This meant that the centerboard was not fully deployed as we sailed. I noticed I could not point well and attributed much of this to too flat a sail (no outhaul adjustment) but now believe of equal or greater issue was the floating centerboard.

When we met at Peanut the other day the centerboard was down, the tide was still flowing out. Tied to the dock in a static position there seems to be just enough weight to keep the board down, perhaps with a little tide push.

When under way the board seems to, (may) float partially retracted up into the trunk because it is just buoyant enough to be swept back by the water flow as the boat moves forward. It needs more weight. We know of at least one other boat that has an under weight centerboard (16 pounds). I was on board at launch when we discovered it. .

Peanut is a great boat Bob. Soon you will have her past a few new build issues.

Thanks for allowing the Academy to teach with her.
howard
BobT wrote:I'll look for you, Dale. No, Peanut is sitting in the marina at Boat Haven. I decided not to pull her out, clean her up, and haul her down the street. By my count there will be six SCAMPs at the festival. I may sail her up one day. She has leaky hatches and a centerboard that doesn't go all the way down. Refit time already.
wyosuds
Regular Contributor

Post by wyosuds »

Bob,

I was fortunate to be able to use Peanut during the academy with Howard. She is a beautiful boat. The minor issues that need tweaking did'nt dampen the pleasure of sailing her, she still sailed competently in a crowded harbor and on the crossing back and forth to Rat Island. Thank you for letting us use Peanut!

My advise would be to absolutely go out and enjoy your boat during the Wooden Boat Festival. The fine workmanship is worth showing to the attendees.

John Sutherland
BobT
Regular Contributor

Post by BobT »

Howard and John, thanks for the information and support for the boat. I've talked to Matt about the centerboard issue and will pull the boat at the end of the month to correct that and fix the hatches. That makes great sense about the water resistance pushing the centerboard up when Peanut is underway.

The weather, when it isn't raining, continues to be warm with light winds so I've been out a few times and am getting the hang of things. Howard, I hope you and Keiko had a good trip to Michigan.

Howard, let me know the dates on your April Scamp sailing class. My and son and I are very excited about it.

Bob
Paul Breeding
Regular Contributor

Post by Paul Breeding »

Does anyone have an accurate or at least an informed estimate as the number of SCAMPs actually launched globally to date?

Paul