Build of Hull 52

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Peter E
Major Contributor

Build of Hull 52

Post by Peter E »

I thought I should share my build of the Scamp. I am not a professional builder in fact this my first boat build so you are invited along in the journey. There may not be any new ideas but I pick up a lot from others. Every once in a while there is a HAhaaa moment. A special thanks should go to Mike Monies and of course Jackie for the inspiration for the build. This is a build from plans and the build manual so some of this will not apply to a kit builder.

I will post pictures and a few comments on each. I will leave out a few details but if you have questions or comments feel free to respond

The building jig frame I put a piece of ply on top to serve as a table. I found that you can not have enough tables.
ppd3
Regular Contributor

Re: Build of Hull 52 ENVY!

Post by ppd3 »

Peter of SCAMP 52

You have actually started. Thanks for sharing your journey. I'll watch with great interest.

I am so very envious.

I HAVEN'T GOT A SHED!

Or a garage, or a carport, or even a spare room. I share an inner city Victorian terrace house in inner Sydney Australia with my wife, my 14 year old daughter and a White West Highland Terrier - no room for boat building, or eventual boat storage.

Congratulations

DIG :mrgreen: (green with envy)
Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Build of Hull 52

Post by Peter E »

The lofting began on inexpensive ply and some 1/4" Masonite board I had left a previous project. For most pieces the edge of the ply served as a base line and measurements were taken from it. The bottom of the boat I made a base line lengthwise down the middle of the ply.

The tools used were metric tape measure, a meter stick, two foot square, a smaller square, and lots of sharp pencils. Also a black and red magic markers You can see hammer and finishing nails along with a fairing stick for curves. Paint cans to hold things in place

ppd3 I did not always have a place to build so I am taking advantage of it.

Some of the first lofting was the rudder on Masonite. Some curves are done free hand. Draw them until they look right.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Pete-

Good luck on the build and remember there aren't many mistakes that can't be fixed, especially if you loft first on some cheap materials and then use those for patterns on the "Good Stuff". (Marine ply without patterns would scare me to death for the cost!)

Keep photos coming if you can, I always enjoy photos of builds and seeing shops.

Love, Jackie Monies (and Mike who is out building boats in heat)
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

More patterns cut, this gave the practice with a new jigsaw. It had a lazier light but it didn't aways cut on the light. It was a lot more complicated than my old one which I didn't think was up to the job. The new one didn't always stay in adjustment. I also learn blades don't last for ever. The glue in the ply shortens there life. It is different than cutting just wood. The one pattern for bulkhead 4 was cut out of Masonite and was floppy so I reinforced it with wood slats.

This is part of the bottom pattern in front of some plywood that is scarfed together. I don't have any pictures of the scarfing. I put all the sheets on a table that needed to be scarfed at once. "Note" don't forget put the sheet that is going to be joined to another sheet upside down so that the same faces will be on top when joined.

Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

When most of the patterns had been cut, bulkheads, rudder, centerboard, Planking, roof. This occurred over several months. I had other projects to do like a corner cupboard I had promised my wife five years ago. I thought it was wise to take care of a few odds and ends before really beginning on Scamp. I believe in harmony... I installed a wood stove in the shop and a sawdust removal system. The wood stove worked great, the sawdust removal system was a flop. I also had to wait for epoxy. I got the kit for the Scamp from Duckworks. When the epoxy arrived I had to educate myself on its use. Bulkhead four was one of the first uses. I don't have any 9mm ply just 6mm so I double the 6mm in places. In bulkhead 4 it is doubled in places and tripled in others. I consider that 4 is a critical bulkhead.

Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

I coated all bulkheads with three coats of epoxy. It is a good idea to right down how many coats for each piece. I used a spatula to spread the epoxy. I had plastic spatulas of different sizes. I covered a table with plastic and placed the bulkheads on small blocks 1/2" thick. I used small foam brushes to coat the edges of the bulkheads and also for what they call tipping or leveling any high spots in the epoxy. If a super smooth surface is necessary for painting later, I sanded between coats. Any drips that occur on the back side can be removed the next day. My tool of choice was a sharp One inch wide chisel. I used this chisel a lot for cleaning and removing any bits wood.

The stern was was put together using 1/2"ply and 1/4" ply It is strong enough for a mounting latter on one side and a motor on the other'

Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

It was time to build a jig. I wanted to be able to move the boat so the jig is mounted on 2x6s or 32mm by140mm. with posts with wheels. When Painting comes I will move outside. Anyway thats the plan. Some of the paint is nasty stuff. Now comes the good part due to a lack of good math. What you see hear is the second jig. When I put the bottom on the jig the first time things didn't line up. So back to the drawing board. I had a large roll of paper and I lofted the jig on that and then placed the paper on the existing jig and made corrections. Just took a couple of extra days. So much for short cuts.( : o )

This is the stage I found out the jig was off. Even the weights didn't bring it down evenly on the jig.

Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

This is my epoxy table. My epoxy is a two parts resin one part hardener. No blush. Some where It was suggested to get pumps I was glad I did. You don't always need a large amount so if you look carefully you will see on the pump stems a piece of plastic tube which limits the length of the stroke. So I get 1/2 the amount. You can cut the 1/2" plastic tubing any length as long you do the same to each pump. You can take the tubing off if you want a full stroke. So far I haven't wasted any epoxy with it hardening before using it. This was a tip I picked up some where too.

Then on to building the bottom. My bottom is built of two pieces of 1/4" or 6mm ply glued with thicken epoxy. I looked how Mike Monies did on the Red SCAMP. I made up a bunch of 1/4" ply blocks and 3/4" screws. The nervous part was I be able to coat 1/2 the bottom and screw the two parts together before the thicken epoxy set. A couple of dowels put in the bottom sheet so I wouldn't have any problem lining them up when glued. I predrilled all the holes before gluing and screwed all the blocks and the undid them. The next day I unscrewed all the blocks. I purchased a large syringe at a Animal medical store that I filled with thicken epoxy and squirted in each screw hole. Later if the thicken epoxy sagged I added some on top. The next day you can easily remove any excess with the chisel. Don't wait two days then it is difficult to remove. I was a little short on blocks but excess epoxy came up the holes, thats good. When I finally cut the center board trunk hole the ply was solidly glued together no gaps.

fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Hi Peter E
I am looking at your jig that you built. I have the intention to build one some thing like that my self. I am not good at calculating metric into board feet from the plans and the manual it does not state how many Particle 4X8 boards I will need. By chance do you remember did you use 2 or was it 3 particle boards to make the jig.
I go to the city once a month and would like to pick up all the supplies at the same time. I just don't want to be short on building the jig.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing