Build of Hull 52

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Build of Hull 52

Post by Peter E »

In the previous picture the hull had been fiberglassed. A decision has to be made after the cloth is trimmed and cut to size. Two methods one leave the cloth on and put the resin on the cloth and roll it in or as I did put a coat of resin and let it get to a slightly tacky state the put the cloth on. Each method has it plus and minus. They way I did it you have to take off the cloth and later put it back on. A tip, mark the cloth with a magic marker so it go back exactly where you want it. With a layer of resin slightly tacky you can roll the cloth on and make slight adjustments. If the resin is two wet where you put is where it stays or you create other problems.

In this picture I already cut two strips of cloth while I was waiting for the skegs to cure so I could take the weight off. I again put resin on where the cloth will go and have fillet the skegs.

Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

The priming began. I sprayed the primer using HVLP sprayer. I have used other sprayers but this was new. A learning curve of adjustments. The cart for rolling it outside was very necessary for the kind of paint for a boat uses. The thinner or reducer is very nasty stuff....I wore a first class respirator and protective clothing. The thinner will adsorb though your skin, so even though outside you want to be up wind if possible. A friend of mind who was a excellent body man had to retire when he was twenty four years old. His Doctor told him find another job or he would never see thirty years. That was a hard decision because he was making real good money.

After on coat of prime little defects will show up this is the time to really eye ball you paint job. Also rub you hand on the surface,your hand won't lie. Sand your first coat and prime again.

Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Getting ready for some paint, painters tape and newspaper.

Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

A little about the paint. I used a oil paint by Rust-oleum however you will not find these colors. I went through color charts of house paints and picked the colors I wanted. I mean lots of color charts, lots of midnight sessions and sleep on it. There is a reason I might call this boat "Indecision" After a couple of months and looking at what others had painted there boats I decided.

I bought little cans of paint and quarts of some. Then on a board and referring to paint chart I started mixing paint. I would use a tea spoon of a base color and then add a drop of a second color and mix then continue with another tea spoon and more drops. One color has a ten to one mix with one part of a second color. This was the process that I used until I got the colors I wanted. I marked on the board the formula for each color. It was then easy to mix a larger quantity for painting.

The bottom color is a high visibility color if I ever turtle up and want to be seen.

I put stainless steel strips on the bottom of the skegs. There is a shop that deals in stainless about twenty miles a away from me and I had them cut the strips to size. I drilled the holes in the strips and placed them on the skegs and marked the holes. I over drilled the holes 1/4" 6mm and then filled the holes with thickened epoxy and let set till the next day. I then put the strips back on and drilled pilot holes and screwed the strips on with thicken epoxy underneath.

Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

The boat with the bottom painted was turned over and back in the shop. This took two people with a chain fall and sling.

WoodnMetalGuy
Regular Contributor

Post by WoodnMetalGuy »

Peter - looking good -- Very colorful! Thanks for posting and letting us know where you are at with your build. -- Dave
-- Dave

Sail #243
CLC Chesapeake 17LT, Chesapeake 14, Sassafras 12
Building blog: http://woodnmetalguy.blogspot.com
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

I like what you have done with your paint...the color is fantastic....good your keep the formula for touch ups in the future. Can't wait to see this on the water....send pic asap. I also see that you have no snow on the ground now. You lucky Badger... Not the best time of the year for painting outside where you live. Great color easy on the eyes. We can all agree it is certainly not Gray Poupon Mustard.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
Jennifer J Harold
Regular Contributor

Post by Jennifer J Harold »

Thank you for this. I based how I built my mast box on your images. It was easy enough to put reasonably tidy fillets in the forward side of the mast box through the mast inspection slot.
Jenn
Lofigo
New Contributor

Post by Lofigo »

I like this mix of colors, looks very nice. Congratulations
Hello! I am new here