Scamp in Aluminum

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp in Aluminum

Post by Peter E »

Charlie, Your SCAMP is really looking good. For gasket material Neoprene rubber is hard to beat. 1/4" or 3/8" if you can find it. Stay away from red rubber. I also had some rubber gasket material with cloth fibers in it. A little stiffer than Neoprene.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Peter, Here's a pic with the engine in it's final location with the plastic edge bushing in place. There's only about 2mm gap at each side between leg and the white bushing so if I decide to go with a flexable flat seal it will have to be pretty thin stuff (if I want to sandwich it between the bushing and the bottom). I was looking at some reinforced silicon rubber sheet used for air seals on small aircraft engine cooling baffles, about 1mm thick, may work. I am also debating the merits of using a foam plug that could be pulled up and stowed out of the way when the engine is in use. I could attach a lanyard between it and the tilt release lever, make it harder to forget the plug and easier to find/actuate the lever. Not shown is a proposed aluminum filler plate that will cover all but the edge of the plastic at the wide opening forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Charlie when you try it out you will find out what you need. I was speculating that water would come up in the hole. It might not. A foam block would have to be very soft. You want to protect the lower unit on your motor in case you hit some thing. I have many times for this reason I never lock down my motor. It might not help at higher speeds but at lower speed it sure helps.

I was going suggest a tire inner tube with a slot if you can still find one so the motor can still kick up.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Sorry Peter to tell you that water does not come up in the slot especially in my Scamp....and I go fast with it all the time....(4 hp) only about half throttle though. The set up is almost the same. I use the motor more often than the sail and two years on the water with the Scamp , even in rough choppy water it has never been a problem. Charlies Scamp would be just fine without an thing in there. Not sure what you are striving to do in there Charlie but try it both ways if you want.

But you are right about locking down the motor...I never planed to hit anything either but two times it has happened... don't lock down...You now the saying that S**t Happens.

Ok Charlies got to go now it is Wow Wow Wee time on TV.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

PLAN A...I'm going to reduce the internal volume at the bottom of the well by installing polyethylene foam blocks. Picture the white material extending upward inside the well several inches leaving a slot 2¼" wide by about 10" long and 6" tall where the leg protrudes through the bottom. I'm of the opinion that reducing the volume of water being hauled in the well is more important than having a clean bottom run in this case. When the engine is raised I'll stuff the opening with a fitted block of foam to make everything nice. Plan B...don't worry about stuffing the slot, be happy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Happy Dog I see that you have this well thought out and seems you are ahead of the curve....I under stand now where you are coming from and very excited abut all the pics you keep supplying.....Thanks for sharing.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

New detail, coaming meets cabin side.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Nearly done with the major metal work, there's only the seat top pieces left to weld in. Plenty detail work still to do, but it's time for a break, so I'm off to 13.29N 144.48E

Cya!
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

I love the look of that aluminum Scamp....can't believe you are so close to finishing it up....
P.S also hard to believe you are returning back to Guam for a break. (13.29N 144.48E) Oh yes I think it may be a little warmer there....That I know you need about now.
Chow for now.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Making sheaves, I ought to be sailing but rigging and other stuff gets in the way. Went shopping for sheaves and decided I could make them cheaper. Ordered a couple feet of one inch diameter Acetal rod and went to work. These will be used in the reefing lines. Each one costs less than fifty cents plus my labor, about fifteen minutes for each after setting up a couple simple jigs.