Scamp in Aluminum

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

HappyDog
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp in Aluminum

Post by HappyDog »

"Practice" got a leak check yesterday. Trundled down to the lake on the trash trailer and motored around for a half hour. Not ready for sail and there was zero breeze anyway. I don't consider this a true launching, that'll come with sails, therefore no photo. Honda 2.3 moves the boat well at less than half throttle with four adults aboard, 3.8 mph on the GPS indicated. It is very quiet when not running. More work required... Some wood slats on seat tops and sole. Hickory tiller. Final rigging. Build trailer. Painting. Etc.

Cheers!
GENE L
Regular Contributor

Post by GENE L »

HD, I work in a Sign Shop and we use lots of 'Sheet Goods', one of which is 'CompBond' which is 2 sheets of aluminum sandwiched with a light non absorbent core. You might look into it locally for your use inside the 'Practice' instead of plywood.

She looks great!

PM me when you get a chance.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

"Practice" (144) has launched. Sailed under the light of the Blue Moon out of Robinson Creek ramp, Jordan Lake, NC. July 31, 2015.

Extremely light winds required that I crank up the Honda and motor out to the open lake to find some useable breeze. Once in the open she ghosted along maintaining maneuverability and attracting attention along the way. SCAMP is a people magnet. One fellow at the ramp said he'd seen a sail like mine earlier that day elsewhere on the lake, a woman commented on how cute was the boat. Lots of interest...

To say that I am a happy sailor is a gross understatement.

Cheers!
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Congrats! Please do send photos soon :-) —Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Pictures please! Dang Charlie, if you don't take a U-tube video, it's like it never happened! Just kiddin'. Glad you're enjoying your boat now. Sure wouldn't mind seeing some pics, though. :mrgreen:
swoody126
New Contributor

Post by swoody126 »

HappyDog wrote:"Practice" (144) has launched. Sailed under the light of the Blue Moon out of Robinson Creek ramp, Jordan Lake, NC. July 31, 2015.

Extremely light winds required that I crank up the Honda and motor out to the open lake to find some useable breeze. Once in the open she ghosted along maintaining maneuverability and attracting attention along the way. SCAMP is a people magnet. One fellow at the ramp said he'd seen a sail like mine earlier that day elsewhere on the lake, a woman commented on how cute was the boat. Lots of interest...

To say that I am a happy sailor is a gross understatement.

Cheers!
steve,

addicted to water and many of the activities that require or are enhanced by it

trailerable, wooden, fiberglass, aluminum & hard plastic

power, sail & paddle

hand crafted a/o commercially created
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Hot chocolate waters. Desperate for some real wind. Discovered I'd forgotten to order a couple blocks so rigging remains unfinished. Things to do, #1, fix the squeak in the tiller. #2, do everything else. Sorry no selfie, and it's too blazing hot to be standing about taking photos!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Way to go Charlie....Congrats are in order for you and your boat. Hope the sailings is as fun as the building part....I enjoyed the building the most....sailing is ho hum. I am Sill in dry dock with all the bad weather here in the Philippines...Rain poring down while I am typing this right now. Never stops this time of the year. Maybe December I will have it up and running. ( end of typhoon season November). That's one heck of a boat you have,,,, that would be really great to sail in....Love aluminum. You earned my respect on that one pal.
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Charlie,

It's been more than a year now so how about a report from the field. Enquiring minds want to know howgoeszit.

You've been a pioneer on expanding the horizons for SCAMP development and I applaud you on your bold vision.
Best wishes!

Simeon
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Howdy from Spring, Texas! First off, sorry no new pics at this time. I've had little opportunity to get 'Practice' wet during the last year or so, just too darn busy with life and getting a house here in TX. 'Practice' is under cover in NC for the winter.
What I can add regarding the boat is that I'm happy with the design, happy with the aluminum, happy with the Honda 2.3, and really anxious to get in some real sailing in 2017. LESSONS LEARNED: Here I do have a bit to offer. (1) I started without adequate knowledge and equipment. I should have forked over the dough and bought the MIG welder before starting the project. The build would have been quicker, the the job easier, and the end product better. (2) I need to build at least one more to be happy. (3) Next build will mirror the wood build schedule for assembly. Building the skin first as I did resulted in a not very accurate rendition of the design. (4) Be somewhere far away and warm whenever your boat is freezing.

Cheers & Happy Turkey Day!