Scamp in Aluminum

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

HappyDog
Major Contributor

Scamp in Aluminum

Post by HappyDog »

I am wondering if there are any like minded persons who are considering building SCAMP in welded aluminum? I've had several boats, both wood and fiberglass, and now have a 5.5m Aussie made aluminum cat. I got it cheap. It was "run hard and put away wet". Expecting problems I spent a year striping it to bare metal and refinishing it. Along the way all systems were overhauled or replaced and new four-stroke engines installed. No real problems were discovered (aside from some minor surface corrosion around stainless hardware and some micky-mouse stuff done by prior owners). Two years of use has me convinced of the positive merits of aluminum.
SCAMP is my next boat!
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Scamp in Aluminum

Post by kenjamin »

Could cost a bunch more, be a noisier ride, and not as comfortable to the touch as wood would be but can't see why it wouldn't be possible. The tricky part for you will be the cockpit sole. Maybe the bulkheads underneath the floor could be tabbed upwards to accept slots in the floor and the filled slots could be welded or maybe rivets could be made to work. It would be a good idea to involve John Welsford with the build. He would probably have a better insight into the problems you might have. Good luck with your build.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Thanks for your comments. Have not yet picked up plans nor had a first-hand look at the SCAMP; hope to do that this September at PT. For the sake of "feel and comfort" as well as access for inspection/maintenance, and ease of building, I envision seat tops and cockpit sole to be removable and fabricated of a composite core and fiberglass (or maybe even wood) and be bedded/sealed and mechanically through-bolted to fixed anchor nuts in structure. As for cost, the last quote I had for 5086 alloy 1/8th plate came to a little over $4 a pound, picked up at the distributor's lot, that was about a year ago... Got about a year to think this over until I'll be ready to cut metal. Cheers!
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Progress Report 1
Set of plans ordered 01 June.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

PR-2
Plans finally arrived.
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Well Happy Dog As you look at the plans and study them you will see that every thing can be done in aluminum with the exception of the center board.

I won't be doing one in aluminum although I am set up for it. If I were I would get some one to cut the aluminum according to the plans . I don't know what you welding experience is but I would suggest wire feed. You can do it either in wire feed or Tig but wire feed is a little easier to master.

I don't know the area you intend to use it salt water or fresh that will determine the kind of aluminum. There are several boat builds with aluminum that will give you some incite into the process if you are interested.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Here is the general idea that I have been developing for building in aluminum. First is developing a Comprehensive List of Ideas which include Everything and Anything that comes to mind for this project. From that I am doing research/study to come up with a Plan. From the Building Plans I am adjusting dimensions to account for the reduced thickness of the materials so as to maintain consistent overall size of the hull. I will be producing a full sized set of plywood components to build a half-model of the boat to check for proper lofting and fit of major parts. I am leaning toward building the hull "skin-first" inside of a jig rather than upright and from the outside as per the wood version. I have a lot of time to think this through as it will be at least 11 months before I will be cutting metal. The skin-first build appears to be advantageous in terms of ease of completing the longitudinal welds; all welds in the hull will be longitudinal except where the transoms meet the planks. The use of a reusable jig and templates goes with my intention to buy rights to build several more for a saltwater business that I have in mind if this boat works out as well as I think it will for my purpose. This boat will be built with 5086 alloy for the hull. Spars will be of a 6000 series alloy. I have MIG, TIG, and AC/DC stick welder. Also have a Plasma cutter for the rough cutting of parts which will then be machined to finished dimensions using a router etc. I weld well enough to do the tack welding but may bring in a retired professional friend to do the visually important finished welding until such time that my skills mature.
Thanks for your comment, Cheers!
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Happy Dog,

Check out the lower portion of this thread (page 14) on WoodenBoat forum. Trust me, you'll find it interesting.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... ern/page14
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Kenjamin, thats proof that aluminum can be beautiful!
Thanks!
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Aluminum definitely has its pluses but I would want some nice comfortable wooden seats to sit on. Because I'm an old surfer, I love the positivity of the flotation of marine foam. Can't foam compartments done in plywood because condensation (I'm told) causes rot in plywood but no reason not to use foam in compartments of aluminum – another plus for aluminum. However, I would hate the glare and damaging rays coming off that raw aluminum because I tend to get burned easily. That aluminum Tirrik is good looking but I'd have to paint it darker in the cockpit and use tan bark sails to cut the light bounce down – and definitely wooden seats (teak maybe). Good luck with your build, Happy Dog, but I'll stick with the plywood.