Scamp in Aluminum

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

zurk
New Contributor

Re: Scamp in Aluminum

Post by zurk »

do you have measurement and thickness for the pieces used ?
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Bottom, transoms, seat longitudinal & trunk parts and mast box 1/8th inch.
Everything else .090" thickness. Some 90degree 1 x 1 x 1/8" angle stock used also.
zurk
New Contributor

Post by zurk »

how did you get the boat to have positive flotation ? did you pour in foam ? use foam enclosed in plastic and welded it ? or epoxy paint like interprotect 2000e then spray foam ?
for the rectangular parts did you use aluminum channel filled with foam ? or rectangle tube with poured foam ?

and how did you bend it ?
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

Aluminum bends easily. Where I needed a small radius corner I cut a kerf about half the thickness of the plate, bent it by hand, and then welded. For flotation the seats, the area forward of the mast, and under floor areas are like a wood built Scamp and are sealed air chambers. Bags of styrofoam peanuts can be packed into those areas. I used no rectangular stock. For the rudder and CB leading edge I visited a business that makes sheetmetal ducts and paid a few dollars to bend the sheet stock to about 110 degrees, the rest of the forming washy hand.
zurk
New Contributor

Post by zurk »

anything you wish you had done differently ? plan to build my own soon out of 0.100 alu sheet/tig welded with pressure tested chambers and 1/8 for the hull etc like yours. i might add an extra welded keel guard and aluminum casters to the keels for dragging it ashore.
HappyDog
Major Contributor

Post by HappyDog »

I would have invested in a good MIG unit before starting. My build was a self taught learning to weld aluminum project.
zurk
New Contributor

Post by zurk »

what did you use for hatches ?