John Welsford To Help You Build Your Own SCAMP

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

John Welsford To Help You Build Your Own SCAMP

Post by Editors »

Big news in the SCAMP world. Our friends at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding are launching a very special "Build a SCAMP" course this summer (August 6th) here in Port Townsend, WA.

What will make the two-week-long course especially notable is that the instructor is SCAMP designer, John Welsford, who is flying in from New Zealand especially to teach 12 students to build 12 SCAMPs.

If that wasn't enough, the NWSWBB has partnered with the Northwest Maritime Center on the course, so all 12 SCAMPs will be built at the NW Maritime facility down on the water in Port Townsend—the birthplace of SCAMP #1.

Students will spend two weeks with John Welsford and two shop assistants building their own SCAMP from the Small Craft Advisor kit made by Turnpoint Design. Students can trailer home their mostly completed SCAMP at the end of two weeks, or opt to extend their stay for as long as two additional weeks.

Details are just being finalized. For more information contact the NWSWBB at: (360) 385-4948 or http://www.nwboatschool.org

Don't miss your chance at something truly unforgettable! —Eds
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
julie
Regular Contributor

Re: John Welsford To Help You Build Your Own SCAMP

Post by julie »

This is an amazing opportunity! Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely interested.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Unbelievable building opportunity. Makes me want to build my own Scamp!

Jackie Monies
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Great job to Josh and whoever else is involved in promoting SCAMP. Seems like this little concept has really peaked the publics interest. Perhaps you folks could suggest something to make my retirement fund grow as quickly. This sounds like an opportunity for a Scamper get together. Would love to meet the faces behind the posts and pick up a few helpful tidbits as well. What about a weekend afternoon meet and greet / dinner type event towards the end of the course?

Cheers

Dan
ZAM
New Contributor

Post by ZAM »

Bcbimmer wrote:What about a weekend afternoon meet and greet / dinner type event towards the end of the course?
I was thinking the same thing. I'm in the queue for a fiberglass version, but I would love to meet the designer and other SCAMP...ers.

-Zane
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Great idea guys. Let me work on that and Ill post details here.

Best,
Josh Colvin
SCA
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Spoke with Pete Leenhouts from the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding, and he's definitely game to see all SCAMPers get together during the course week. At the very least we'll meet up at the end of a day and go out to dinner. Keep in touch.—Eds
jwboatdesigns
Regular Contributor

Post by jwboatdesigns »

I am working on course content and management with Pete Leenhouts from the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding, and am pleased to advise that in addition to the kit builders we have places for those who may not be able to build their own boat at the course.
This means that people from far away places, too far to tow the boat home to, can fly or drive in and spend the two weeks learning by working on the boats being built.
If you were were one of those, you'd bring a basic set of hand tools and work on each stage of the builds with a boat owner, and get much the same experience as they will which you'd find very useful when you get home to build your own.
Also, we can cater for those wishing to build from scratch, the course will supply plywood and other materials, glues, fastenings etc. It is envisaged that we will run what amounts to a little shop counter where builders can purchase as they need.

There will be three instructors among about a dozen boats which means that help is never far away,

The course is to run at the Northwest Maritime Center at Port Townsend, a near new facility right beside the harbour, a wonderful facility in a beautiful setting.

The Course co ordinator can advise as to travel ex Seattle and may be able to advise as to accommodation.

Note that if we can fill the first course, we will look very hard at running a second one.

I'll be going on from those courses to help Howard Rice with his Small Craft Academy running just before the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. it will be a busy time, I'm looking forward to catching up with the friends I made at last years festival and meeting more of you.

John Welsford
Tim
Regular Contributor

Post by Tim »

jwboatdesigns wrote:
I'll be going on from those courses to help Howard Rice with his Small Craft Academy running just before the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. it will be a busy time, I'm looking forward to catching up with the friends I made at last years festival and meeting more of you.

John Welsford
Well this is exciting, as I am signed up for that Small Craft Academy :)

I only wish I could spend all of August building a Scamp to use in it, but I am towing another boat up to head up to Desolation Sound for the rest of September.

Tim
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

This is all so exciting it makes me want to go spend August and September in Port Townsend and just go home in time to hold Sail Oklahoma! in October. Oh yeah, we are hosting Howard Rice and his Small Craft Academy here the week before Sail Oklahoma! begins.

Howard starts on Sept. 30 and goes to October 4, Sail OK! overlaps a little with Small Craft Academy too. I haven't been successful in pursuading John W. to come help with that one here, so you guys are so lucky. You are in for a treat, as JohnW says.

I am envious!

Jackie Monies/Sail Oklahoma!