Stainless Steel centerboard.

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Jonathan
New Contributor

Stainless Steel centerboard.

Post by Jonathan »

Greetings from Jonathan #256 not quite complete. I will be picking up this boat soon, taking it to its new home in southern california and finishing it up. Oddly, the gentleman builder has built a stainless steel centerboard. This begs a few questions-Will the scamp support such a beast? How will it affect sailing? More stable? More slow?
22839.jpeg

Secondly, is it acceptable to make a thread posting pics on progress? or is this forum just for q and a?

I'm super excited about the scampy scamp boats!
J.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Stainless Steel centerboard.

Post by wdscobie »

That board has no foil shape and therefore will be an extremely poor lifting body and the boat will not go to weather as well as those with the shape as John outlines in the plans.

Unless the build has been owner/builder changed that very thin board will also clank around within the within the trunk.

Stainless is also a terrible material for below water installations and in places it will sit wet (such as in a trunk while on the trailer). Stainless isn't stainless and will rust quickly when set in water that becomes 'stale' as the metal removes the free oxygen atoms (aka crevice corrosion).
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

How much does it weigh? The 7" X 22" x .5" piece of mild steel plate I put in my centerboard was approximately 22lbs. Stainless is even heavier. I am with Dave, I would see if the boat has a standard size slot. The Centerboard kit from Duckworks is made from two pieces of 18mm plywood.
Jonathan
New Contributor

Post by Jonathan »

I am probably going to recycle it and build a wooden centerboard. I think nothing would stop that thing from blasting though the top of the trunk on a capsize.
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Sorry forgot to address your second question. My guess is you would likely want a different thread to post your build progress. Maybe start off with how you aquired the boat and it condition then go from there.
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Agree with Dave and others—you definitely don't want to use a stainless board. Please do start a thread about your build.
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.