10 SCAMP Questions Pt 4 of 4

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

ctbren
New Contributor

10 SCAMP Questions Pt 4 of 4

Post by ctbren »

Question 10:
In the next two pics, I notice the longitudinal frames on bulkhead 2 extend past the bulkhead.
Is that to support something else at a later step in the construction, or can that be trimmed off?
20240107_162924 1024X768.jpg
20240107_162935 1024X768.jpg
Based on what I have read and what I can see on my hull, it seems my best course of action would be:
1) Build centerboard (boat came with 2 pre-foiled centerboard halves).
2) Get all the centerboard pin hardware worked out and installed in ballast tank area.
3) Apply 3 coats epoxy w/graphite to the ballast tank area and foot well.
4) Apply 3 coats of epoxy, 1 or 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint between bulkheads 1 & 3.
(Sounds like a good fill-in project in between epoxy cures, elsewhere.)
5) Prepare bulkhead 1 for bow eye.
6) Continue the build sequences in the build manual.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Charles Brennan
Almost-A-SCAMP #637
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
max
New Contributor

Re: 10 SCAMP Questions Pt 4 of 4

Post by max »

10. Those are the carlins, and they're there to support the deck when it goes on. My carlins actually extend all the way up to the bow. Trimming that front bit I imagine won't hurt anything, but likely won't gain you much either - just slightly less weight against a (very) small amount of weight and extra filleting surface to make sure that carlin is really locked into bulkhead 2.

Your plan does sound reasonable. Just fyi that if you're going to paint you may not need to also coat with epoxy, the paint will be a good sealant, the epoxy will just add weight. Also I'd coat the centerboard with graphite epoxy to keep it slippery, but no need to use graphite in the ballast tank.
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Re: 10 SCAMP Questions Pt 4 of 4

Post by dsimonson »

Hi Charles,

John recommends 3 coats of epoxy, so that's what I did. As the years go by (this May will be 10 years since launch), and the miles pile on, I see the value of a good coating. I repair all damage to the coatings inside and out with epoxy (then paint) at the end of each season, and the boat is as good as new! (I didn't use graphite anywhere beyond the inside of the centreboard trunk. It all seems good.)

All the best with your build!
Dale