Scamp survey for WA state registration

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Shackleton#268
New Contributor

Scamp survey for WA state registration

Post by Shackleton#268 »

We have Scamp #268 which is an owner-built boat previously registered in ID.
We are trying to register the boat in WA state and the DOL wants a “dealer” or marine surveyor to assess the boat for sales tax purposes.
Does anyone have experience with a marine surveyor (in the Seattle area) who knows about the Scamp?
How did other owners with out-of-state boats deal with this issue?

Thanks,
Chris Ancliffe
stevecanaga
Regular Contributor

Re: Scamp survey for WA state registration

Post by stevecanaga »

Good question. I am jumping in late on this so don't know if this is still an open question. In my case, the marina I dock at wanted reg and insurance. I kept explaining that it was home built and the model (and kit) was for the SCAMP. I eventually prevailed and got both.
...be happy...
Steve Canaga
Scamp #332 - Emerald Odessey
ram
New Contributor

Re: Scamp survey for WA state registration

Post by ram »

As a former marine surveyor, I would say it is a ridiculous waste of time to survey a SCAMP. If they are a professional they will need to take photos and write up a complete report. In my day the minimum cost for this was $400, probably a lot more now. When my own insurance company wanted surveys done on my Flicka sailboat I convinced them to just let me submit a bunch of photos. I don't know about the DOL.