Electric Motor for Scamp

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Scamp JuniB #133
New Contributor

Electric Motor for Scamp

Post by Scamp JuniB #133 »

Dear Wise and Experienced Scamp Owners!
Hello, I am the proud new owner of Scamp #133, which is also my first boat (do kayaks count?). I have lots of questions.

My main concern right now is getting her on the water safely, and, because I don’t know how to sail yet (details, details) am seeking an electric motor to attach to her transom and not interfering with the rudder which is how I’m planning on steering.

Looks like the curved transom is around 28”, not sure where the water line will be and not sure how/where the motor will be mounted (will want to reinforce the area first, yes?). But I believe I’m going to want a Long Shaft Length, right? Is there any specific Shaft Size recommended? A specific Shaft Size to avoid? Any brand/kind of mount recommended? Will need to tilt the motor out of water when sailing - is that a normal adjustment available to all motors?

I believe that the electric motor market will have a lot more choices in a few years. So I don’t want to spend a lot of money on this motor//battery. I need something to get me out there and bring me back. Hoping the 9ft, 2-piece (aluminum) oars that I just purchased will work in an emergency. Looking for the “stirrup” reboarding technique that is recommended for this boat. GH Boats mentioned the stirrups were coming soon.. a few years ago.

Am trying to educate myself, have been going through all articles and forums mentioning the Scamp, and small sailboats in general and can’t seem to find the specific answers that make this motor purchase easier. Help? Please? Thank you, Kelly
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Electric Motor for Scamp

Post by wdscobie »

Motor mounts -

viewtopic.php?p=17793

More discussion can be found by searching for "mounts".

For the motor, many options from Torqeedo to trolling motors. The challenge with electric is always one of range. Work great for getting in and out of the harbor but not for long distance.

The shaft length is called long aka a 20-in shaft.

It is not terribly difficult to row a scamp for a short distance, like in and out of a harbor, in light wind.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Scamp JuniB #133
New Contributor

Thank you, much appreciated.
ram
New Contributor

Post by ram »

I've been using a ePropulsion Spirit Plus for a couple of years now (https://www.epropulsion.com/spirit-1/). I built a mount for it high on the transom, positioned so that I can just tilt it up and out of the way if I turn the tiller to the side. The prop is deep enough that I've never had it come out of the water, although I expect that could happen if I was in a steep following sea. The Spirit is similar to the Torqueedo with a few advantages (my opinion): slightly less expensive, battery floats (I haven't tested that), actual motor is under the water at the base of the shaft, so it's extremely quiet. I mostly just use it getting on and off the ramp, but for extended motor-sailing it easily pushes the boat to hull speed, even in a light wind, at about half-throttle. At that rate it can run up to 8-9 hours. I've cruised like this for more than 6 hours at a time and never had it run down.

That said, I'm planning some longer trips this summer and they've just come out with a solar charger for it. The charger itself is not terribly expensive ($185 CAD). They also sell a 100 W foldable panel to go with it, but it can work with many 3rd-party panels that are less expensive. I'm going to work out a way of setting this up somewhere (probably at the base of the mast on the cabin top) so I have some means of recharging when I'm on the water for a few days.
Scamp JuniB #133
New Contributor

I definately looked long and hard at the Spirit - it sounds like a very good set-up. (But I was a bit frightened by the price, not being completely sure of what I needed yet.) So a little trolling motor/battery/mount - which I get to figure out where and how to attach. I really hate the idea of putting holes in my boat :) Especially finding out later I've got it wrong, but I'll push thru and attach the motor - wish me luck.

Working on the "stopping" part, researching anchors and how to deploy and store. Got a good collection of safety gear, dog and I are outfitted with shiny new PFDs. Is it launch time yet? Brr
Scuppers
New Contributor

Post by Scuppers »

Having an auxiliary bracket on the transom allows you to use a short shaft motor, thus reducing outlay and weight.

The only problem with this is some electric motors have the tiller mounted on the front of the cowling and the arm won't swivel to point vertical enough, thus preventing them not being able to be lowered far enough because of SCAMPs high transom. The two that won't work in this situation are eprop and torq (short shafts). The three that will work with a bracket is the TEMO, Thrustme kicker and Remigo. The Remigo can be long or short shaft - great design. The Thrustme is well priced, simple and has just enough squirt to get you back to the ramp when your oars are exhausted.

This is my experience on my boat...depending on where your bracket is mounted it might be different.
Last edited by Scuppers on Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Sea Dog, 2017 Gig Harbour SCAMP #451
Lachie88
New Contributor

Post by Lachie88 »

Problems I found with electric outboard ( 54lb) were first, at maximum power in 10kts and chop the best speed was about 2kts with difficult handling . As I tend to cruise for a number of days I was constantly worried about remaining battery power. Because the Scamp has limited deck space for solar panels I had to find a sandy beach and take the battery and my folding panels ashore for the day to recharge. I tried extra batteries but this only extended the inevitable beach recharge with 2 days of sunbathing (the problem is I am not into sunbathing)to recharge the extra battery. I would have loved to use an electric outboard but it's not feasible on a Scamp. I still have the outboard in the shed. So I went back to a petrol ( gasoline) motor and bought a Honda 2.3. I was pleasantly surprised on my initial cruise with it having travelled 9 NM at 4.5kts on one litre ( one quart ) with half the journey in 18kts headwinds. I will again try electric again when the technology has improved. At this stage I found that unless you were to use a large battery bank which is impractical they are for calm waters and limited range unless you like sunbathing.
codefoster
Regular Contributor

Post by codefoster »

I have the newer ePropulsion Evo and have two things to add. The Evo does dynamic generation, so when you're sailing, you can keep your prop in the water and make electrons for later. It's not fast by any stretch, but neither is solar, and it's a great option to have. The other is that you can install a throttle in the boat as I have and thus remove the tiller arm from the motor and get more mounting options like short shaft if you'd like.
Scuppers
New Contributor

Post by Scuppers »

codefoster wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:58 am
I have the newer ePropulsion Evo and have two things to add. The Evo does dynamic generation, so when you're sailing, you can keep your prop in the water and make electrons for later. It's not fast by any stretch, but neither is solar, and it's a great option to have. The other is that you can install a throttle in the boat as I have and thus remove the tiller arm from the motor and get more mounting options like short shaft if you'd like.
I'm keen to know how effective the Regeneration really is.

It starts to work at 4 knots, but at a minimal 25 watts.

At 5 knots it charges at 50 watts - this is close to SCAMP's top-speed. Keep in mind you need to have the engine in the water and that will probably knock half a knot off.

6 knots isn't too bad at 100 watts. But do we spend much time in a SCAMP travelling at 6 knots?!?

Maximum is 330 watts at 10 knots. :o
--
Sea Dog, 2017 Gig Harbour SCAMP #451
Bateau24
New Contributor

Post by Bateau24 »

Does anyone have experience with Joe Grez's EP Carry electric outboard on a Scamp?
How to mount the motor so the prop does not hit the rudder? Length of the shaft
on the EP Carry ?