Outboard motor mount location

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Green
New Contributor

Outboard motor mount location

Post by Mike Green »

I picked up a low hour 2018 2.5 HP Yamaha short shaft and this small Marinetech https://www.westmarine.com/marinetech-p ... 61853.html adjustable bracket. Can anyone recommend location measurements for the mount? I don't want to get it too high or too low or too close to the rudder. I am sure there are other considerations that folks may have who are running an outboard if you want to share. I think I can figure it out but thought I would ask the forum first.

This photo gives me a pretty good idea of where it needs to go Image
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Outboard motor mount location

Post by pocketyacht »

Thats the spot. Your boat likely has a motor mount doubler already installed below the seat. You can check to see. All you have to do is add a top piece.
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Does the outboard have to go on the port side, or could it be mounted to starboard?
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Either side is fine.
Martti B
New Contributor

Post by Martti B »

When using an outboard motor, is the boat to be steered by turning the engine or the rudder of the boat? Turning the engine is uncomfortable, so I would prefer to use the rudder, but I have already managed to cause a little damage to the rudder by hitting the propeller. I would think the safest thing would be to keep the motor in place just to push the boat forward.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

Martti B wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:12 am
When using an outboard motor, is the boat to be steered by turning the engine or the rudder of the boat?
When going forward steer using the rudder.

For backing hold the rudder straight and steer with the motor. (Easily done if you face aft so one arm holding tiller and other is controlling motor.)

In tight/close maneuvering situations steer using a combo of motor and rudder.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

I'm thinking more about adding a motor and bracket. Is a long shaft outboard preferable to the short shaft on a SCAMP transom? Also, how much travel should the bracket provide? I followed the link that Mike posted and it specs 11" of lift. I have an old one that gives only 8.5" of lift. Would that be enough?
stevecanaga
Regular Contributor

Post by stevecanaga »

Personally, I had a lot of similar questions. I decided on a long shaft and a spring loaded/retractable mount. I used the try-test-adjust method with a carefully measured mockup on my transom until it would keep the prop unit/water intake 3 inches below the transom. I chose the 2nd-from-lowest setting so that I could bring the motor straight up without the need to tilt the engine to get it out of the water. That also allows me to set the engine dow to the lowest setting in case of motoring in very bouncy water to keep the water intake submerged.

One thought to share on motor mounts ... or anything in the line-fouling zone... make darn sure you are keeping the lines free from getting hung up on the mount/motor. I recently had a near oh-snap moment that has served to remind me of that situation lately.

Cheers
...be happy...
Steve Canaga
Scamp #332 - Emerald Odessey
Rob Hazard
Regular Contributor

Post by Rob Hazard »

Thanks for your answer, Steve.
I have winnowed my choice down to either a Honda 2.3 or a Yamaha 2.5, long shaft in either case, and a spring-loaded bracket. Availability was a large winnowing factor, since I prefer to buy from a local dealer in person rather than online from some faceless entity.

If the yard-sale-find bracket I have on hand doesn't give enough travel I'll spring for a bigger one.

I'm well aware of the line-snagging possibility, and may re-rig my sheet in order to eliminate any interference.

Cheers,
Rob (SCAMP #197 Puffin)